Can pantoprazole cause sinus and sore throat?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello it all started when I had a huge fried meal and I started burping, feeling heartburn, and slight nausea. I went to the doctor and he told me it was acid reflux. He prescribed me 40mg of pantoprazole a day for 2 weeks. I am only in week two and I've noticed that I started getting a sore throat, mucus in the back of my thoat, and coughs. Some times I get a burning feeling in my throat. Note that I did not have these symptoms before I took the pantoprazole. However, the pantoprazole did get rid of my hearrburn and nausea. Is the pantoprazole causing my sore throat and such?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Thats the thing lewis, alot of these tablets have side effects and you dont know whats caused by your reflux and whats caused by the tablets. I got side effects from omeparozole and now i think lansaprozole is doing the same :-(
    • Posted

Yeah hopefully when I see my main family doctor tomorrow he can tell me what's really wrong. I kind of regret going to a walk in clinic for my diagnosis. I mean it can really be anything.. A misdiagnosis, bad reaction to the pills, or the acid reflux. Hopefully someone with similar symptoms replies , so I know what's going on sad
  • Posted

Hi Lewis

Throat and sinus problems are the most common symptoms of reflux.Have you tried taking Gaviscon Advance

• Posted

But sometimes this is caused by PPI. But after 2 week is very quick.

​Lewis, it's better to try a low acid diet for a while without using PPI. Maybe that works for you 2. See information by Dr. Jamie Kaufman

• Posted

Thanks for your reply moonbunny! I can only get the original Gavicon here in Canada and takes a month for thr Gaviscon advance to deliver sad
    • Posted

How does it take a month for Gaviscon to get to Canada? I'll see if I can send some an post it to you if you want. I want some Phospho Lecithin, made in Canada by a firm called Wampole, but we had an idiot of a prime minister called harold wilson (not worth capital letters) who stopped the suppliers here importing it as it was costing £700,000 which upset the balance of payments in 1967. Maybe we can get a deal going!
    • Posted

Hi Lewis

Advance is just double strength - I get it on prescription for a 500ml bottle. Mind you it is pretty thick you could probably set bricks in it smile.

It is definately better than the normal stuff if you can get hold of it

good luck

• Posted

I won't be on the medication for that long, so I don't think I have enough time to get Gaviscon with delivery.
  • Posted

There is no evidence that pantoprazole or any other PPI causes these symptoms - nor any logical explanation as to how they could.

However, the symptoms you descrie are commonly caused by extra-oesophageal reflux.

PPIs reduce acid hypersecretion to make any reflux less dangerous. And much recent research has shown they probably have a chemo-protective effect to reduce risks of progression to cancer from frequent reflux of acid.

However, even Non Erosive Reflux causes problems as you are discovering.

Visit www DownWithAcid org uk and scroll down the contents (home) page to find the chapter on Extra-Oesophageal reflux where the mechanisms and reasons for your symptoms are described along with the results of a survey that show the incidence of these symptoms.

I have looked into all reported side effects from the drugs and have a long list (too long to list here) - though most are actually quite rare. These symptoms do not appear on it.

Most of the reported "side effects" are actually from induced hypochlorhydria if the drugs are taken in too large a dose over too long a period. They are powerful drugs and long term usage must be reviewed by a doctor to ensure the correct dosage regimen is met.

• Posted

Hi lewis 01951. Instead of taking products from 'big pharma', try natural cures. If you have an excess of mucus, cut out milk and milk products, which can cause the body to over produce mucus. I think a little milk in tea and coffee may be OK, but if you want chocolate have dark as opposed to milk chocolate. It's better for you anyway. For heartburn keep clear of white flour products, especially bread. I used to get hearburn from the bleach in white bread. For reflux, eat an apple, and for nausea, try tonic water. The quinine can help settle a nauseous stomach. None of it may work for you, but it has for me and there's nothing in all this that can do any harm and is all cheap if only to try it out. Steer clear of the pharmaceutical industry. There's no profit in curing you!
    • Posted

Thanks Chris. I've already been on a strict diet. I've been cutting out all sorts of food! The only reason I take medicine is because the symtpoms are too much for me to handle. I don't have to take the pantoprazole for a long time, so we'll see!
  • Posted

ANYONE who is prescribed PPIs should first be tested for H.Pylori!!!!!  I think this is one of the most neglegent thing doctors do when prescribing these drugs!  I was prescribed the drug for GERD.  Without knowing how these drugs work, I took them, and 5 days later I had a terrible gut ache.  As it turns out, I had H.Pylori, and the sudden drop in acid allowed the H.Pylori to overgrow in my gut, and my GERD symptoms got much worse!!!  Now, I'm trying to manage my GERD, and eliminate H.Pylori.  It would have been much eaasier to do this, prior to taking the stupid pills!!!!!
    • Posted

I think this is the problem. I have worked for a pharmaceutical company all my life and am used to getting to the root cause and putting preventative measures in place. I appreciate tests cost money but in the long run it may be cheaper than keep throwing pills at you. I read somewhere that Esomeprazole costs approx £70 a month to the NHS and we pay 10% of that.

If we had more tests up front to get to the bottom of what is actually causing the problem rather than go straight to sticking plaster treatment.

I had a friend who had severe reflux for 2 years and she eventually paid privately for food testing. It turned out she had severe issues with about 6 items (all fruit and veg). As soon as she cut these out of her life the reflux stopped. 2 years of PPI's and suffering for nothing.

It is about finding out the cause and then treating the problem.

• Posted

Thanks for replying teswanson. I went to the doctor today and got a blood test to check for H.Pylori. I haven't taken my pills for that long, so hopefully I get my results back ASAP!
    • Posted

Costs to NHS for esomemprazole for 20mg maintenance dose for 28 days is £18.50. For high dose 40mg, it's £25.19. For generic omeprazole (which is proven to be just as effective for the majority of patients,) the 28 day cost for 20mg maintenance dose is £1.68. (2011 figures)

If you go to the Drugs page (drop down from the Treatments tab) of www BarrettsWessex or uk, you can see a price comparison table for all the commonly prescribed PPIs plus links to the research of comparative effetiveness.

H.Pylori tests are actually very cheap - via blood test, breath test or stool sample. The bacterium needs to be looked for first though it's unlikely to be causing sore throat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.