My PAE EXPERIENCE 1/26/2016u

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys thanks to everybody for all the information on this forum, had it not been for finding this I would have most likely had a turp or something similar. 

I thought I would share my experiences and help out other guys.

First let me say the folks at UNC are all top notch, I have never met nicer more helpful people at a hospital. 

I had my CT scan at UNC on Monday, Hint number one before you go if you are coming from out of town, have a creatinine test done first just to make sure your kidneys are functioning properly. Mine was a little high and they had to do some additional testing. The radiologist told me that had had some guys show up and it was too high, and they were not able to do the procedure. That would be a huge bummer after coming from a long distance.

met Dr.Isaacson early Tuesday morning, he told me my arteries looked great for the procedure, and he was sure I would have a good result. He also told my prostate was not huge, only about 40 grams but he said that really didnt have that much to do with symptoms.  I cant say enough good things about Dr Isaacson and his staff top notch does not beginto describe the way they treat you.

I was taken to the procedure room for the prep, and even in there all of the nurses were joking around with each other and me, and it was just so obvious that they actually enjoyed their work. Then the one nurse gave me a little bit of the feel good juice so I could relax during the prep. 

The last thing I remeber after that was Dr Isaacson telling me I was gonna feel a little pinch in my wrist. 

I woke up two hours later feeling good. 

Here where for me things took a bad turn,I apparently had a bad reaction to the contrast, and began to break out from head to toe witha rash and hives. Dr Isaacson immediately came back up and made sure I was breathing ok etc and even called a consult up from dermatology. The gave me two benadryl and a steroid shot. That helped a lot but I guess the damage was already done Im still pretty red.

After that they made me stay for a couple extra hours, plus I had come by myself and they were not really comfortable letting me go back to the hotel alone.

a couple hours after the procedure the urge to pee is VERY strong and barely anything comes out. That lasts for about 24 hours, which leads me to hint number two. Plan to stay at least one day after the procedure. I drove back 8 hours to Nashville the day after, and I had to pull over about every 15 minutes to pee into a bottle lol. They give you some meds to help with this, but its still pretty urgent when it comes on.

night number two afterwards, i got up to pee only one time, usually it was 2-3 times and my stream is already muchstronger so I think I am gonna get a good result.

oh and forgot to say Dr Isaacson himself called to check on me, and  so did the nurse that took care of me.

if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. 

Thanks again to everybody on here.

joe

3 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe,  please excuse my ignorance but what is a PAE.  I'm guessing that it's something that reduces the prostate volume but would like to know what I'm talking about when I revisit my MD.
    • Posted

Prostate artery embolization, and yes it definitely shrinks your prostate, without any of the nasty side effects.

just do a search for it here on this forum, there is several threads on it.

thanks and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sharing. if you don't mind me asking what is your age? So Dr. Isaacson said that this procedure could shrink your median lobe. I have two median lobes and hope that this procedure would shrink it. 

• Posted

Hey John, I am almost 53. And yes it apparently is the only procedure that will shrink the median lobe. I also had one large median lobe, and did not qualify for the urolift. I already have a marked flow improvement even after just 3 days.
  • Posted

Congratulations Joe,

Things should only get better. As you said Dr Isaacson and the UNC staff are awesome. I had my PAE there 9 months ago and life is great now. I also had urgency the next day and minor burning, but had no trouble driving home to Atlanta (7.5 hrs)  I had to pee 3-4 times, but I like to stop every couple of hours when I drive anyway so it was no problem. Sounds like Dr Isaacson made the entry thru your wrist rather than your groin. He did that with me as well. I had a lot of bruseing on my wrist that lasted for over a week and it was sore. If you have that, don't worry. All and all the after effects were very minor and in two weeks my symptoms had improved enough that I would have been happy with the procedure if they didn't get any better, but fortunately they continued to improve MUCH more. I rarely get up at night now and never more than once. Stream is very strong and my sex life recovered from the effects I had from BPH drugs I had taken for years before the procedure. My Prostate was 128g and has since shrunk 40%. My PSA was as high as 22 and now is 1.8. 

Life is good and I feel blessed.

For  Aristotle,

I also had a large median lobe on my prostate, but the PAE was still a success. 

• Posted

Awesome William, thanks again to you and all the other guys on here that pointed me in the right direction.

I havent had any bruising on my wrist at all, and definitely no pain. Honestly if I had not had a reaction tot the contrast, I wouldnt have any problems at all. I do not even have any burning when I pee.

• Posted

William79680, how long did it take for the urinary frequency to decrease after the PAE?
    • Posted

Second day was much better, and by today, day 3 it is gone completely.
  • Posted

Congratulations on getting through what must at times have been a difficult process - particularly the skin reaction issues. I can't help a little feeling of envy, but for several reasons PAE isn't considered the right procedure and I heard today that my TURP will be in April. Thanks for posting. Accounts of real experiences are what I find most helpful for adjusting to, accepting or changing the approach to my situation.
    • Posted

Thanks papasan, and I wish you best of luck with the Turp, really sorry you have to go that route.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.