Does Uterine Fibroid Embolisation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would like to know about anyone who is six months post op. Just to know if it worked and if you lost any weight and got rid of heavy periods and anemia.

I would like to lose at least 22 1bs as I feel it's Fiboriod weight.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia

I had mine done in 2012 it worked for the fibroid sitting over my bladder the size of a cricket ball.

Weight loss was a few pounds after the fibroid melted. But could differentiate depending on how large fibroid is. At the time best I ever did but 4 years on more fibroids grew bk and now ended up with full hysterectomy. 7months post opp feeling loads better no more pain.

• Posted

Hi Kizzy,

How long did it take to get relief for your bladder? Im six weeks out and still waiting. I'm sorry to hear new fibroids appeared - I thought that couldn't happen b/c UFE cuts off the blood supply?!

• Posted

Hi Murnaloo

My bladder more or less resolved itself after the embolisation. New fibroids can appear has I've learned from other members here fibroids can search for new blood supply to feed on. I ended up with New one on front wall of uterus 3years later and multiple smaller ones and cysts on both ovaries. Its the blood supply to the uterus that is cut off from what I was told by gyno. Have you seen ur GP has I'm sure you can get tablets to help with it. Cranberry juice can help with bladder problems to if its bacteria that's coursing bladder problems.

Hope you find relief soon. 😀

• Posted

Mine is 10cm and is also over my bladder hope to lose more than a few pounds though I'm very active so I should do as long as it works. Sorry to hear you got them back but I will have it done again if I have to not having a Hysterectomy unless my life is in danger. Glad you are doing well though x
    • Posted

Hi Patricia

I thought long and hard and fought tooth and nail over 7years to keep my uterus. From first stage in 2009 a mernia coil fitted to stop the heavy erratic bleeding. Which just enlarged the fibroid after 3years but did stop my periods full stop after 3mths of being fitted. I must say all though it upset me loosing my uterus. And if I gone down the root of taking the tablet form of shrinking the fibroid over a 2× 3month course. I would have not known about the cysts on my ovaries which over time might have turned cancerous. Being nearly 50 and menopausal could be a risk factor.

I wish you a speedy recovery and melting of the fibroid doesn't take long once the supple of blood is cut off. With in 6mths my waist/ belly had shrunk. Exercise I find helps with the menopause to.x

• Posted

I'm 18 months post op and as far as I'm aware it worked and heavy periods are a thing of the past. Very light and only last a couple of days now. I had 5 fibroids. 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 4 months post UFE and my 10 cm fibroid has shrunk 65%.  I lost an inch off my waist and lost 2-3 lbs.  While it put me into menopause (I'm 51), I still have to wear liners, so I'm not happy with that.  It did stop my bleeding and anemia, though.  It was a painful week of recovery, but I'm glad it's over.
    • Posted

Hi Jana,

Wow, I didn't realise that the procedure would cause menopause so quickly. Did it happen immediately? I still have the heavy discharge I had before UFE. If the bulk  symptoms will go away, I'll be happy to deal with wearing liners, but six weeks in, my 10cm fibroid has shrunk 25% and is still causing horrible frequency issues. Adding liners to that is just insult to injury. You must be optimistic that your 10cm fibroid will shrink even more if it's only four months and you've already seen such a great reduction!

• Posted

One thing I've wondered is do the fibroids shrink fairly evenly over the 3-6 months after UFE? Or, do they shrink most in the first month, a little less in the second month, then even less in the third, etc.? I ask because my 10cm fibroid shrank 25% in the first month and I don't know whether to hope it shrinks 25% in the second month, etc., or if it's already done most of its shrinking.

Everyone's stories are so helpful, especially because the hardest part is having patience and faith. My family and friends don't understand why I had a procedure, but won't possibly feel back to normal for six months.

• Posted

Hi the hospital told me to expect a 50% reduction of my 10cm Fibroid but did say I would not notice until 6 months post op. cant understand about your family and friends though mine know how much the symptoms bother me probably cos I go on about all the time but they do understand that I I'm unhappy both with my body and the symptoms. At least you can say it in here and people do understand. Hope this helps

Get well soon x

• Posted

Oh, I meant my family/friends don't understand why I don't feel better six weeks after a procedure. They expected me to feel better within a week.

I've heard everything from you should see results within six weeks to it will take up to a year. My doctor said nine months. I'm not sure what to believe! It's also frustrating wondering if they are shrinking -- as I mentioned, I know mine shrank 25% in a month, but my symptoms are still quite strong, so I assume they have not continued to shrink at that pace. I'm not very patient!!

• Posted

It's hard to be patient I had just finished my nightmare period pre op. 2 days later I had what I think was another period but not as heavy (no flooding). Stopped for a week or so and I am bleeding again! Can't believe it and to top it all I have an infection so on anti bios and I feel sick.

Hoping this passes soon it had better be a good reduction after this. But it does seem that every doctor says different about the time it takes to shrink. I'm also not a patient person either so I know how you feel there.

Hospital said that I would notice a difference in period no 2 with the bleeding or 3rd one.

And the bulk symptoms 6 months. I hope you at least got lighter periods! But I think for them to say 2 weeks recovery a tad optimistic or maybe it's just me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.