Side effects of changed dosage, .112mcg too 100 mg.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have experienced weight gain, severe cramping in feet, skin problems, severe muscle soreness. What else should I expect?

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tammylee72, weight gain and skin problems are definately caused by hypothyroidism.  You'll want to do a quick search for hypothyroid symptoms for a complete list.

For me, there were two issues with the levo: 1) it didn't work properly at any level, so I was continually hypothyroid the entire time Iwas on it, 2) I was allergic to it. I don't really mean allergic, I mean it seemed to cause an autoimmne response, triggering my immune system.

My experience has been, EVERY TIME, I have symptoms, it's generally due to low thyroid. So, when you dose, you have to check the T3, T4, rT3, and T3 to reverse T3 ratios. The TSH gives you an idea what your brain thinks is going on, but doesn't tell you anything about the rest of the feedback loop that happens with the thyroid and thyroxin.

So, the first thing to do is to make sure that your levels are actually working for your body, which means that in addition to your blood work, you have to consider your symptoms, what's going on in the body, Is your hair falling out, vision problems, are your hands and feet cold? Do you feel chilled all the time? If so you're probably too low on the meds.

Now! At the end of the day, I was on a very high dose of levo- nearly 200 mcg/ day. My body seemed to react extremely badly to this medication and so as the dose was increased, I also had increased autoimmune response, so water retention, bloating, weightgain all increased. You can see how it's hard to distinguish the difference between hypothyroidism and a medication reaction.

The levo is T4 only, which requires your body to be healthy enough to convert to T3 as needed. This requires a  healthy gut and liver. So if you don't have a healthy gut and liver,  you'll end up with low T3 and high T4 on the levo. This difference is expanded, as you go to higher doses. Check your blood work and see where in the range both T3 and T4 are. If your T4 is at high end of normal and your T3 is at the low end of normal, this could indicate your T3 is low: this could be more precisely your problem, typical for levo patients.  If your T3 is low, you'll have anxiety among other problems. For me, I need all my levels to be towards the high end of the ranges for me to feel well.

What I did, was tried with the levo until it was to a point where I thought it was as good as it could get. (Sadly, this took two years of insanity!)  When I was still sick on a dose of nearly 200mcg/ day, I tried a natural dessicated thyroxin. That was somewhat better, but I eventually switched to an OTC bovine dessicated thyroxin.

Hope that helps. With the thyroid stuff, you pretty much have to learn to be your own doctor and advocate for yourself. Then try things until you fins what works best for you.

• Posted

Wow...I had no clue about any of that. I have 3 auto immune disorders. 2of them are blood clotting disorder. The most important one is a rare skin disease. I've been seeing a new doctor since September and I have been really sick. I was in remission until this doctor. He changed my dose and didn't tell me. I just thought it was a different manufacturer. I have been hospitalized at least 4 times. With cellulitis of the legs..they think it was mrsa but I try to tell this new doctors my medical conditions but they have the God complex. I have also gained a ton of weight, losing more hair, tired, cold feet, basically all that you described. Thank you so much for you help. Have a great night.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that! You do have a load of illnesses. I don't trust my doctors one bit. All they do is keep adding more prescriptions. 
    • Posted

Yes. BeeTx, pretty typical. Unfortunately, since all those prescriptions generally make things worse for people. Better to find an herbal solution- fewer side effects and more effective.
    • Posted

I wish I could find an herbal replacement for all of my meds. The thyroid replacement for one but there is nothing but Armour thyroid as far as I know.
    • Posted

There are loads of other NDTs. Ask and people will tell you what they're on.
    • Posted

Hi beeTx,

Barbara is right, here is a list of five:

Acella – NP Thyroid

Armour thyroid

Nature-Throid

WesThroid

And there are more, Google Natural Dessicated Thyroid Med

WP Thyroid

• Posted

Sorry, WP Thyroid is #5 in the list, not my signature!
    • Posted

Thanks , I'll ask my doctor about these.
    • Posted

Westhroid-P (aka 'Westhroid' is made from porcine thyroid) has the least fillers. Porcine means from pig. There are also natural desiccated thyroid meds from cows (bovine). I take one named ThyroGold which also has no fillers and can be obtained without a prescription. There is also Thyrois S.
  • Posted

You may be very tired. sip on pickle juice for the cramps. Turmeric ppills help with pain. Get a good multi vitiman. Be sure to report this to your doctor.
    • Posted

Yes very tired...wow pickle juice, I will try that. I take perocet and fentanyl patches, but still have pain issues too. My new doctor sucks lol.. thank you. Have a good night.
    • Posted

Pickle juice? That's interesting, basically vinegar. Does that help the liver? Like apple cider vinegar?

I use turmeric/ bromelin combo for the pain and inflammation.

I also do frequent liver cleanses. which I feel have been invaluable in keeping me on track!

• Posted

I have never heard of those medications you take for pain.ARE They new? I also have never cleansed my liver. How does that help?
    • Posted

Pickle juice has electrolytes and helps muscle cramps. I'm not sure about the liver and pickle juice. Turmeric works good for inflamation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.