Been prescribed amitriptyline but worried about weight gain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been prescribed amitriptyline as I am emetophobic and suffer with severe anxiety. I have sporadic migraines, once or twice a year. They usually come on when I have not eaten and then eat something, think it is to do with blood sugar or something, but I have aura, nausea and numbness down one side. The nausea is what terrifies me, but my pill, Cerazette, has helped to nearly stop them altogether. Now I want to try for a baby but am so worried coming off the pill will bring my migraines back, so have been given amitriptyline by the doc. However, last year I was depressed as I had gained 2 stone after quitting smoking. I have now lost it and feel so good helathwise, I eat 12-1500 cals a day, exercise 3 times a week and am happy with my body. Last year I hated myself! I do not want to gain any weight back as I worked so hard to shift it. Sorry for the life story I just don't know what to do. Has anyone ever NOT gained weight on this? Or if I do, will I be able to shift it? Or do you think there is something less drastic I could take instead? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've taken Amitriptyline for a long time for pain relief, I have osteoarthritis. I have not gained weight whilst I've been taking it. You don't necessarily gain weight when taking it and if you do start to put on a few pounds then you know what to do....cut down on your food for a while. It's worth giving it a try.
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is reassuring to see someone who didn't suffer adverse side affects, I think Iam going to have to give it a try. I have only been put on it for a month on 10mg so we will see if it helps. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hiya hazandduk ive been on amitriptyline now for over 25 years..i have not gained weight on it, which i always struggled with anyway..but not on these meds... But i eat Paleo style anyway so,..its High Fat Low Carb..worth looking it up..i(google) eat plenty of food but its whole food nothing processed.includig ..bread, rice pasta etc..but plenty of other stuff you will lose weight if your body is overweight and put it on if your underweigt you are actually giving your body what it requires..its all very interesting.great for all autoimmune sufferers..i have fibromyalgia Sorgrens Syndrome etc..hope you find what your looking fir..be blessed have a lovely day..and welcome😍😍
    • Posted

Thank you for replying to me Christine. Think i will give them a try, and will definitely be checking out thhe paleofiet, as have heard wonderful things! smile
  • Posted

i am on amatriptaline for migraines and in last year i have not put on any weight i think if you have a healthy life style you will be ok 

• Posted

Thanks for replying Derek, my lifestyle is fairly healthy so hopefully I should be ok! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.