Aching wrists hands finger and ankles

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi guys

just over a year ago I was tested for arthritis due to back pain, it came back clear.  I'm a 45 year old female, last had a child 5 years ago, I have regular periods. But in last two weeks I'm suffering very strong aching in my wrists, which extends into my fingers. my ankles when I wake up and try to stand really ache for first 10-15 mins. 

just today started taking  Osteocare origional, which has calcium magnesium , vitamin D3 , does anyone else know if this will help.

it doesn't help that I'm a carer and my job is quite demanding. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

regards Terri 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As far as I'm aware calcium etc don't help but I'm not an expert it's something I have read. I have osteoarthritis it was when I was researching that it was when I read it. I think you should go back to your GP because early diagnosis can be to your advantage.
    • Posted

I read for women of my age the calcium was good for my bone health so decided I'd start using this to keep my bones strong, esp as menopause can't be far away. I just don't know how to ease the aching!

thankyou for your reply.🙂 Maybe it is best I go back to GP 

• Posted

I would terri because there are different forms of arthritis so you need a diagnosis.
  • Posted

Since my husband has been taking vitamin D3 the aching in his hands especially has improved hugely.  He also just feels better so I would definitely recommend trying it.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply! Hopefully I'm on the right track.. I've been asking friends but no one I know has the same symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Terri!

Something else that may help is Omega 3. I started taking 2000 mg. liquigels about a year ago, and it is helpful to skin, joints, hair and also good for the heart.

I had both knees replaced last year. My SHOULDERS are now hurting! Honest, with arthritis it seems SOMETHING is always aching!

Weather plays a big part in how you feel if you have arthritis, too. A warm polar fleece throw over my shoulders helps when they start aching.

Actually, my new KNEES are my only exempt parts now because they are TITANIUM and PLASTIC!

Sometimes you just have to laugh! I try to stay positive to keep the endorphins flowing. Endorphins help block pain. Yea, Endorphins!

Ibuprofen works best for me. It is good at dealing with inflammation which arthritis causes.

Wishing you success in finding a plan that works for YOU!

• Posted

Bless ya, I've started to feel like every month I'm adding something new to my list!

You just jogged something talking about your throw, prior to my wrists aching my hands had been freezing for days! Maybe it is weather connected something I hadn't considered!

Can I take omega 3 with the tablets I've started taking, or would it interfere this is where I get stuck! X

• Posted

The Omega 3 liquigels can be taken with anything EXCEPT blood thinners like the shots you give yourself after surgery.

Bonus is my hair and nails are stronger, thicker and more shiny!

Yes, I have come to realize rain and snow REALLY effect my pain levels! Looking forward to more SUNSHINE!

• Posted

I'm going to go buy some on Monday. Got nothing to loose. Thankyou for your help.

Here's to the summer! 🌞

• Posted

Hi Terri. I have OA and find the weather has a big effect on my symptoms. Cold wet or hot and humid cause me so many problems, like pain and stiffness so much worse. I'm 72 and have had it in spine and multi joints for 25 years or thereabouts. The blood tests are done to rule out any other form of arthritis like RA and ankylosing or other inflammatory auto immune types. Blood tests do not show up OA as it is not classed as inflammatory or auto immune. I take Vit D for bone strength, it doesn't help the OA to my knowledge, it's a joint problem. Evening primrose or other Omega 3 supplements may help, I don't know. My sister swears by them but she does have RA. It's not proven that any supplements help with OA apparently, you may be wasting money on them. I was a carer too and yes, it is difficult to work with arthritis but it helps to rest when you can but keep moving too or the joints seize up from lack of use. I'm retired now so do whatever my body tells me I must these days. It's best to listen to what it's saying to you in my experience. See your GP for pain control. You may be referred to a Rheumatologist if he thinks one can help. Best wishes, Pollyanna UK
    • Posted

PS, If you're in the menopause, this can affect osteo arthritis as the levels of oestrogen are lower and this affects the joints quite a lot. Lots of info on this site if you want to research it. rolleyes
    • Posted

I agree with you Pollyanna regarding the oestrogen levels. I stopped taking my HRT last year after gradually reducing it. However just before Christmas my flushes etc were so bad my GP prescribed it again. I hadn't thought initially about the affect it had on my joints but when I stopped it I was in considerable pain, now however since starting to take HRT again the difference is amazing. I do still have some pain but I can cope with it.
    • Posted

I don't think I'm in menopause as I've no symptoms my periods are regular.

Since turning 40 I can feel effects of my body changing though, I'm now 45. I got alopecia for the first time it happened twice in a 2 years, currently it's growing back still thin in one small area. The doctor checked my immune system to see if that had anything to do with it, but came back fine.

Then my back went on me and I collapsed, so along with medication and a walking frame for two months, I was checked for arthritis but again clear. Now my back is still painful but it's in my wrists, fingers, and occasionally ankles.. It's actually making me feel really down. Sometimes I wonder if I took all the goodness out of my body having a child at 39... It's hard to know what to think sometimes, hence asking for help. Thankyou for your reply X

• Posted

Can I ask something Hun, does hrt get given automatically to women in menopause, or is it for women who only suffer badly?
    • Posted

If you read the new NICE guidelines the recommendation is that it should be prescribed for women suffering any symptoms of the menopause. Google it and you'll find it and it's very easy to read. The concerns about HRT are now unfounded and a lot were based on flawed research, which to be honest most of us working in gynaecology knew anyway.
    • Posted

Hi Matron. I stopped taking it after 10 years, I thought that was long enough! There had been so many news items about it I was a bit scared to carry on any longer, I was about 56-7 by then. I don't think it's an option now at 72 but I've definitely had more and worse OA symptoms since I stopped taking HRT. I was on oestogen only as I had a hysterectomy at 40. Wish they could find a pill for oldies like me! rolleyes PS, I still have flushes at times, especially when weather's humid, it's never ending!  frown
    • Posted

Hello again Pollyanna. Like you I have had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy which is why I started taking HRT in the first place. There isn't an upper age limit for prescribing HRT and I intend taking it for some time to come especially as it is helping my OA. It would be wonderful if it could be prescribed for the over 70's.
    • Posted

I wish but don't think they will for me. I've started having ovarian cysts which are being investigated at the moment. Seems to be taking forever with waterworks checks, monitoring growth etc. I have another prolapse too. I just want them to remove my ovaries, cysts and all so I won't have to worry about it any longer. My mother died of ovarian cancer at 70 so I've had two more years so far. The ca125 was 'normal', not sure what the figure was though, no one said. I forgot everything I wanted to ask when I saw the clinic doctor. Not seen the consultant yet. I wonder if he would do as I wish? I intend to write it all down next appt. I think this should all be on the gyne forum but we got waylaid a bit. rolleyes
    • Posted

I've worked in gynaecology for years and from my experience if a lady particularly with your family history asks for surgery the surgeon will agree. Make sure you see a Urogynaecologist especially as you have a prolapse 
    • Posted

I'll try to do that Matron. I'm waiting for tests and another scan before I get my next appointment. Hope the people at the reception will listen when I ask to see the consultant! It's a very busy East Midlands hospital and my appointment was the day after the junior doctors strike so extremely busy and running late. I have been allocated a consultant but saw the registrar first appt. I shall have to more assertive I think! confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.