Diet advice for gastritis, ibs and fissure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dear all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place,

I've been waiting for a dietetic referral since October and really need some advice. I'm a recovered anorexic but have lost weight due to a bad bout of gastritis. I've now developed what is apparently ibs and I have recurrent anal fissures that have been painful since September.

I need to gain some weight.

I need to not irritate my stomach

I need to not irritate my bowels

I need to not have hard stools (already taking softeners daily...)

I've already cut out coffee, citrus and alcohol.

I'm vegetarian and lactose intolerant, and I do not know which other foods trigger the ibs. I know there aren't professional dieticians here but it's probably going to be another month or two before I see someone. I'm fed up with feeling so damned tired all the time.

Any ideas are very welcome

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too have an eating disorder which has given me IBS, constipation, potentially dyspepsia issues too. What had helped me are the stool softener sachets a all a ensuring I drink enough water as the sachets work by drawing water into the big colon to soften stools. Don't just gulp loads of water all at once, you'll need up to 2.5 litres so sip water throughout the day. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks search,

I have tablets rather than sachets but maybe I'll try the sachets. Sorry that your ed has messed up your digestive tract sad I was already weight restored and symptom and behaviour-free before all my drama started, triggered by a stomach infection rolleyes

• Posted

It's very weird because before I had antibiotics for my stomach infection I had daily diarrhea, and now I have constipation most of the time with time of the month diarrhoeal fun. Yay.
    • Posted

That must have been really frustrating. I'm not even sure how mine started but it just have Ben because I got really skinny. I keep thinking all of my problems will go away and every morning I feel like I'm find but it just eyes worse again as soon as I start eating. Life would be great if I didn't have to eat haha! Hope you get on better without constipation relief.
  • Posted

IBS is a complex condition with many and varied different triggers. The best self-help book I have read on the subject is Irritable Bowel Solutions by Professor John Hunter.

Do some reading too on FODMAP - FODMAP is an acronym referring to Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. These are complex names for a collection of molecules found in food, that can be poorly absorbed by some people. Lots of FODMAP diets online. My trigger foods are chocolate, onions and any foods which contain the sugar alcohol mannitol - sweet potatoes, celery and watermelon are particularly bad for me but you'll see that some of those are on theĀ  "good" list. I'm also a vegetarian and it can be hard to find a balanced diet that works - to get enough protein. Nuts are a definite no as these really do irritate my colon but I can tolerate beans which are on the "bad" list. It will be a case of trial and error to see what works for you. Definitely keep a food diary to track how you feel from day to day.

• Posted

Thanks limeleaf. Funny I always find watermelon quite soothing to my GI tract. I do eat pulses and nuts daily to get protein and nuts to top up calories...if they are causing problems I don't know what to substitute for!! I have looked at fodmap diet lists but they seem very restrictive for someone already on a veggie non dairy diet while trying to gain weight!! I didn't want to make such drastic restrictions without guidance.

I'll start a good diary then so I have lots of info to give the dietician when I finally see one.

• Posted

Well, it may well be that you can tolerate nuts. Do you eat eggs? I have never like to but have had to start eating them to get something protein rich into my diet - there's nothing better. Carbs would help with weight gain - mashed potato and rice, for example.
    • Posted

I don't particularly like eggs either! I eat a fair amount of cars I think, mostly wholewheat bread, pasta, white rice and potato. Perhaps I should up the amount but I think that risks making me more constipated I think, and I'm already fed up with feeling like I'm passing broken glass every day! Gah! It's so complicated!

I'll give eggs more of a chance. There's something slightly icky about eating them unless they are in say, a chocolate cake, but I'll try harder.

Please don't tell me I shouldn't eat chocolate. I'll just cry. After having to give up two great loves, red wine and coffee, a life without chocolate woukd be tragic.

• Posted

Yes, it's a fine balance. I was advised to eat more carbs to help with ulcerative colitis but it just makes me feel sluggish and adds pounds (which I know is what you want). Yes, I find eggs icky, hate breaking them, can't stand any goo but needs must. I'm afraid chocolate could have contributed to your gastritis. It really does make my tum sore and causes reflux. Moderation in everything I suppose.
    • Posted

Are you gluten free? If not that could be a problem. Also I was told

recently that grains, ALL GRAINS have been tainted by gmo's . And gmo'S are treated with roundup.... Hope I'm wrong but it reinforced buying organic bread based products and hope they aren't affected too

• Posted

Hi ella thanks for your reply.

I don't know if grains are a problem. I guess I could try cutting them out but what do you replace them with?

As for GMOs, as a scientist, I'm afraid I don't belive in the the scaremongering about how bad they are. Genetic modification of the genes that are selected (usually those that pertain to greater Hardiness against poor weather, insects or fungus) are highly unlikely to affect the composition of edible grains in a way that's detrimental to human health. No reputable study has shown a connection.if I had to choose between GMO grains and those grown with a ton of pesticides, I'd go with GMO every time.

• Posted

Hi. That's good to hear. im no dietician but I hear grains can rip up your intestines, bind in the stomach? I give my cat grain free food and she's better off for it. I hear there's grains that don't have a detrimental effect on the gut. Dr oz did a big show on it, the info will be on his website somewhere.

you know I had normal bread yesterday and today is ESP painful in my gut before/during/after bowel movements, makes me wonder if it causes inflammation if you are already in a tender state such as ourselves..

• Posted

Sorry if the last message seemed a bit rude. I just checked out about the roundup thing. Genetic modification is not the problem. Overuse of roundup however does not sound too clever. I'd rather not eat weedkiller.

• Posted

Normally people do not have a problem digesting grains. In the rare case of celiacs disease you can have an immune reaction to gluten that causes your intestines to become degraded but a simple blood test will detect this rare and debilitating condition.

A lot of people think they are gluten intolerant, but a recent blind study showed that people had the same symptoms when they thought there were eating gluten but weren't. It's food for thought!

• Posted

When I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and asked the consultant - why me? His response was that (in his opinion) food additives and pesticides were responsible. No one really knows why people get UC i.e. a breakdown of the immune system (I know we are not talking about that particular ailment here) but it does strike me that so many people have digestive problems nowadays that something is going on. I am losing so many friends to cancer in their 50s and early 60, friends whose parents are still alive well into their 80s and 90s that I am convinced diet and environment are the cause - possibly poisoning us in our formative years.

Item on the BBC website today about the gluten free debate suggesting that gluten free products are less nutritious and have added fat and sugar.

• Posted

Well with all these new sweeteners and preservatives and additives and whatnot I'm not surprised that there are some problems for the consumers. It's really awful if pesticides caused your condition sad I agree there must be a reason for the huge rise in digestive disorders. Maybe in a couple of generations they'll figure it out!
    • Posted

Beyond growing one's own food and eshewing all bought products I don't know how we can escape. There's a lot to be said for it if one has the time and space. Food tastes better for a start. Sorry to sound so gloomy and for taking your thread off topic.
    • Posted

No worries limeleaf, I tend to agree that homegrown stuff tastes so much better. Alas, we are stuck with the current nutritional offerings, not those available to our great grandparent, and so we, like they, make the best of what we can get!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.