coming off bisoprolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greetings all,

Well it appears after a battery of tests and three months on beta blockers that I had a viral myocarditis, rather than an MI... better safe than sorry I suppose!

I've been having real trouble breathing while on the meds, which I initially put down to the ramipril. Thankfully I have now been taken off the bisoprolol, but will remain on the ramipril for a few months until the damage to my heart has healed. I explained to my doctor that I would rather come off both, due to the effects, and he has assured me that the breathing difficulties are caused by the bisoprolol and should clear up.

Of course, I then expected to wake up the next day, take a few deep breaths and everything would be right with the world... probably highly unrealistic! However, I've been four days without it now, and have switched the ramipril to an evening dose, and I'm still struggling to breathe. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, how long did it take for the residual effects to disappear? I'm starting to feel like this stuff has done me more damage than good, and I only hope it's not going to be permanent...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my husband had terrible trouble with breathing problems when first starting Bisoprolol. He persisted with it and it grafually wore off ... took abput six weeks. Now his bp has stabilised and he us scared to come off it in case he ever had to go back on it again!
    • Posted

It's miserable isn't it? I've been on it for three months now, and I reckon for about a month I had no problems at all. Then I went through a period where I was constantly dizzy and tired, and my heart kept dropping out and then racing to catch up (bloody frightening the first few times it happens, I could count the seconds between beats!). Now I only really have the breathing issues and associated chest pains, and of course since I stopped the bisoprolol I get palpitations whenever I do something even slightly strenuous. I expect that will sort itself out once my heart realises it's no longer being regulated
  • Posted

I am 2 Months off of Bisoprolol.

Breathing became easier each day little by little (or with each new week), but I am still having some (huge) problems on some days.

Imo, it took me around 45-50 days until when I could say: "My breathing is better now. Not normal yet, but better than then."

I have read on some places that it takes a few days until Beta blocker is out of your blood system, but some of it stays in your cells and in your organs for a month or two after you stop taking it.

Also, some of it is stored in our fat cells, so from time to time, some small amounts will be again released into our blood system.

4 days is too early. Wait 20-30-ish days, I am sure you will feel (at least slightly) better then... Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.