Atorvsastin 20mg - Nausea side effects ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was put on Atorvastin 20mg about 9mths ago for high cholestorol, and after about 2 months, starting feeling constantly nauseous, especially first thing in the morning.  I stuck with the single symptom for four months and then went to my GP.  He examined me, nothing untoward and put me on Omeprazole 20mg to negate the acidity in my stomach. I have had a range of blood tests, and all appreared normal. No effect on the nausea, so returned - he suggested a gastrocopy which I had done and all was declared normal. I spoke the clinician who undertook the procedure who suggested as everything appeared normal, and that it was one symptom it might be a side effect of the statins. I went back to my GP before coming off the statins, and he has now taken me off them, and to see what happens in a month. It is a week later, and I am still continuously nauseous, in fact probably worse.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, or am I just being impatient - though not life threatening - 6 months of this feeling gets wearying !

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes!  I was on pravaSTATIN .... Has 1/2 life of 77 hours.... A very long time which means med may take 2 or so weeks to clear...   I had slight nausea, side pain, malaise, flu-like symptoms.... All intermittent.  Symptoms got worse when I stopped med.  finally better.  I hope you let me know how you do.  And that you get better.  
    • Posted

Hi there - many thanks for replying to me, most helpful. I am now 8 days since I stopped,and I think the nausea is receding. Though I have not suffered with major side effects, it has just dragged me down.
    • Posted

Hi Ian, so glad to hear it.  There is general malaise that goes too... It really took 3 weeks for me and now I'm fine.  Take care.  
  • Posted

Hello Ian24169

Blah!! Nausea is terrible on its own, but a months worth would be terrible.

Are you on any other medications, I would like to know?

Gastrointestinal upsets are one of the highest forms of side effects with statins.

Also, it takes the body about a month or so to rid itself of the statins, so you do have a ways to go.

But, it would be intersting to know what other meds you might be taking, as some medications increase the side effects of statins, as well as contribute to nausea.

It is good your scope was normal, as was your blood results, and presumably those included liver enzymes?

Interested to learn more Ian, when you can.

Lill

• Posted

Hi there - many thanks for your reply - most helpful. Your observations make it easier - I think nausea is lessening. The only other med I take is

Atenolol 25 mg - have done for 10 years - though old fashioned - works for me - so doctor leaves me on it. Thanks again

• Posted

Glad to hear Ian!

Hope you have complete relief of it very soon!

• Posted

First of all,i am not a fan of statins..however did you take the pill with or without food,can make a difference with stomach issues. I stopped statins as i had about 15 different side affects from them.
    • Posted

Hi - I tended to take without food,last thing at night with half a glass of water. I am finding the nausea is lessening, so finger crossed we are getting there. Thanks for your response
  • Posted

Hi Ian, sorry to read of your situation. It never ceases to amaze me how doctors will attempt to counteract side effects with yet more drugs. It sounds like you have been through all sorts of poking and prodding to arrive at your original conclusion: statins are making you sick.

I suffered for two years before finally ditching that drug (artorvastatin @ 80mg). Multiple side effects. It's six months later and I am still dealing with bouts of anomalies.

Give it a little more time and things should settle down for you. Please think twice before going back on statins. Doctors make such a scene about cholesterol that I find it suspicious - especially after researching the effects of the drug. It is a gateway for multiple debilitating conditions. Cholesterol levels can be moderated through diet and exercise.

Best of luck to you and I hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi - there - many thanks for your response - much appreciated. I think the nausea is receding, but response have made me more patient. though nausea, is not the worst side effect - it just gets a bit draining.

So thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.