anyone have frozen shoulder and have diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just got frozen shoulder after I had rotator cuff tear surgery. I have diabetes for over 15 years. My doctor never told me that frozen shoulder can cause from diabetes and injury. I fell down hard on floor and found out I had rotator cuff tear. Anyone who have diabetes and develop frozen shoulder have any experience?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I have diabetes and looks like a shoulder problem I have is frozen.  I have seen a consultant twice now and got 1 injection and have had physio and accupuncture but nothing working.  I am back in 2 weeks to see the consultant but he has told me that treatment is not successful for people with diabetes.  I find it very difficult to get dressed and can't put my right arm behind my back.  I didn't have an injury, just woke up one day with it.  Yes frozen shoulder is yet another thing of many that we can get because of our diabetes.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for replying back to me. I will see my doctor for follow up on Monday, Feb 8th. Dr will decide if I will have surgery to remove scar tissues. I don't know if shoulder will come back frozen again? I will ask my doctor on Monday. I will keep u posted. Keep me posted too

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I had keyhole surgery on my froazen shoulder two years ago (to resect tissue around the tendons/ligaments and to clear the shoulder joint of additional tissue FS creates). I am also a diabetic, the condition is known to predispose you to FS and to make both the onset and develoment of it faster and more severe while making the recovery from it more prolonged and less satisfactory. The cause is thought to be the glyaction of tissue (due to prolonged hyperglycemia) and resulting "end products" which trigger and worsen FS. Note that while there is some evidence that FS can be triggered by trauma (including surgery) FS can occur without it, in particular just having diabetes is strongly linked with it. Recovery from the capsular release (via keyhole) surgey is painful and, initially, difficult but, two years down the line, I have regained virtually 100% movement with no pain or discomfort.

• Posted

I just went see my doctor today for follow up. I only improved my ROM very little since last visit a month ago. She said I have two options. One is to wait in a month to see if improvement for FS or go for keyhole operation with manipulation under anesthesia. I don't want to wait because I haven't go back to work since October. I don't get paid from work because I work part time. I am deaf and struggling with seeking jobs. Any suggestions how to manage with financial issues? Thanks anyone
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes, I was diagnosed with FS about a week ago. Have had it for about six months. I am also a type 2 Diabetic, 20 years.  I am SO sorry that we are all going through this.

Are you going to have the surgery Debbie?

My doctor told me that my shoulder may never heal, I don't believe I will accept that. The shoulder is extremly painful,but it's only been six months. Anyone else's doctor mention this? Thank you.

• Posted

My doctor never said about my shoulder would never heal. She knows I have diabetes. Yes I will have surgery to remove scar tissues. Where you lived?

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I am in Ireland.  I am having manipulation under anaesthetic in a few weeks.  The surgeon says that this might not work and that surgery that he has done with diabetics has not been successful.  He is one of the best in Ireland but I think its luck.  He did say that it can get better on its own but after 2 or more years and unfortunately I need to be able to use my arm as I can't put it behind my back which makes dressing and a few other things very difficult.  Good luck and I hope you get the result.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Hopefully the surgery is a great success and the pain is gone and your montion returns.  

I am in the US. I am a bit depressed about the possibility if the shoulder not healing. Just wondered if any other Diabitcs had the same conversation with their doctors. Glad that never came up for you. The FS is enough to deal with. 

• Posted

My doctor is one of the best perform shoulder surgeries. She said patients have succeed for removing scar tissues and I will keep everyone updated of my surgery which is this Friday the 26th. All I need is prayers! Thank you!
    • Posted

I did ask my doctor about diabetes. She had many patients with diabetes that are doing well with frozen surgery. Keep you update and I have surgery this Friday. I notice I don't have much pain now but still stiff when I tried to reach up my arm. Ugh!
    • Posted

Hi Jen! I just had frozen shoulder surgery Friday(Feb 26 16). It looks like I finally can move around my arm. Wow! I was so lucky I have the best doctor. I have happy tears since I was so concern with my frozen shoulder with diabetes.
    • Posted

Hi Jen!! I am now starting to have some pain in my right shoulder that is just started last week. I don't know how this happened. My left shoulder was still not improving with ROM after my second surgery was dr did the scar tissue removed. Ugh. What you think of this right shoulder? Wish we chat privately
    • Posted

HI Debbie!

Did  your freezing spread? I am curious as I have had some of those 'shocks ' in my unfrozen shoulder.  How are you feeling?  Sorry, I didn't see  some of this a few months ago. Must have been an extra bad night.

My best friend is calling my shoulder, the "cold shoulder". Sounds so much less permanent than FROZEN. haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.