Ladder?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Landlord (who lives on the property) is in some kind of mood today and has just complained that my front curtains aren't "white enough". Getting them down involves getting onto a ladder multiple times to unhook them. Has anyone tried a ladder 9 weeks post-op?

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello belle, i would not get on ladder at all your balance is not good yet and you don't want to fall.

Unless you have someone to help you I would not get on ladder.

Jackie

• Posted

Answer to landlord, CAN YOU COME AND HELP ME GET THESE CURTINS DOWN PLEASE, if he or she can't help they have nothing to complain about.

There is no way I would be getting up a ladder at 9 weeks post op. If you were to slip could be very nasty.

• Posted

Shaking my head. No you can't get on a ladder and take down, wash, dry, iron? and re-hang curtains! I love Lyn's idea of asking the landlord to "help", i.e., do it all himself. Fill him in on what you've been through, and give an estimate for when you might be able to do it, months down the line.
  • Posted

Part A solved: my daughter got onto the ladder and got one down. She was too scared to get onto the computer desk to get the other. So I got a dining chair, which is sturdier than the ladder and, with her help, I got onto the desk and got the other down. They're in the wash now.

Part B later will be putting the hooks back in and getting them back up. 

We don't really like letting the landlord just come in without the proper notice. Just because they live at the back of the property doesn't give them the right to just feel free to come in, hence why we didn't ask him. (We do let him or his family come through if it's raining ridiculously or something and easier for them to get to their place via ours, but we do have privacy rights.) Also, he's in a really thingy mood at the moment due to his mother being sick in another state, so best not to bug him. I think he's focusing on stupid things like curtains to take his mind off that.

• Posted

Hi Belle

Hope the curtains were made using pre washed fabric You would be amazed the number of times my wife Who is a curtain (drapes) maker has to remake curtains that have shrunk. 

P S don't get up ladders and use your crutches when walking any distance

• Posted

Some kind of synthetic cloth that didn't shrink in the wash. We took down the curtains on some inner doors and did them, too, but I have noticed those ones have now frayed a bit on the side because they weren't sewn on the sides. Tough sh*t... the front curtains were finished properly, so they're okay.
  • Posted

Glad you are solving the problem. Be very careful up on that desk! Your landlord does not have the right to be grumpy around you, a recovering hip replacement patient! Take care.
  • Posted

Please do not take the risk.  Is your landlord so unreasonable that he/she cannot understand how dangerous that would be this early?  One fall and it all starts over again.

eek  Dawn, USA

• Posted

You are having a laugh right? What are you only allowed white curtains up. And what right does he have to tell you that they are not white enough!! I would seriously tell him where to go and if he wants them white he can come and change them. So l would. I would have laughed in his face!
    • Posted

The curtains were the only furnishings that come with the place. We have been lazy and haven't taken them down for a wash for about a year, so they do need one. 

However, he is aware of my mobility issues. Like I said before, I think he's just fretting over the house to take his mind off his Mum. He just got back last week after being away for six weeks to look after her (she has terminal something). He's been gardening and doing house repairs like mad since he got back. I feel for him as my own mother passed away a few years ago from cancer and I know how frustrated I got at being interstate when key things happened. But I just hope he's not planning to take all his grief and frustration out on us.

We're doing our best under the circumstances, but are not even washing the floors at the moment. The whole house has hardwood flooring and it takes ages to dry and is slippery when wet, so it's off the housekeeping list right now. A rental "inspection" because he's trying to take his mind off more serious things is the last thing we need right now...

• Posted

Tell him to get them down!!! Anyway if you pay your rent not his business if they're black!!
    • Posted

Private landlord. In Australia, if you rent via an agent, you can usually expect to be left alone for at least three months. However, if you rent privately AND they live on the property, you have no privacy. The rental market in Sydney is stupid. I've been seeing articles for several years now about 40 or 50 people turning up to every vacancy advertised, so renters are really at the mercy of the landlords...
  • Posted

Wow!! What a gem! 

Why would you risk such a thing. There is a thing called Duty of Care and as he is the Landlord, he has legal responsibilities. If the worst should happen, and this went to court, then questions of "reasonableness" would be asked of him and "sound judgement" of you.

I would tell him to get a life. I am sure the kids on the street would have a more succinct way of putting it :-)

Michael  

• Posted

This is a guy who gets out on a ladder with his chainsaw to trim the tree in the front yard. Every time, I am terrified he's going to fall off and I'm going to have to run out, pick up body parts and call the ambulance...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.