Diabetic Retinopathy

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I had my eyes screened last year the result came back that I had background retinopathy. This year I have just been screened and my result came back No change in eyes due to Diabetes so what happened to the result last year where has my retinopathy gone if it was ever there in the first place. I didnt think that it could go away once you had it so which result is right last years or this last one ????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, I have it too. Probably means there is a little damage, but no change since your last scan. Maybe? You must be controlling your blood sugar pretty good.
    • Posted

Just managed to see my optician and she tells me that if it was on the report as R1 then it means there is a small bleed but it can disperse itself which makes it clear again the same as mine has done. So thanks for your reply and I hope yours will not give you too much trouble. Sue
  • Posted

I think Dee has summed it up entirely. You have a little damage but there has been no change since the last scan.   It just means that the damge has not increased,not that it has disappeared.
    • Posted

thanks for your reply. my optician tells me that R1 means a small bleed that can disperse on its own which is what probably happened to me. Must say that pleased me as my husband is registered blind and I didnt fancy having eye problems as well as looking after him. Take care, Sue
    • Posted

Just curious... what is R1 - is it related to prolific retinopathy (which thankfully I don't have)? I was always told retinopathy is not reversable, and you can just limit its progression by watching blood sugar and blood pressure. Can you tell me more? Does this mean that your most recent evaluation was better than the previous one? Good news!

• Posted

Hi dee.

​Yes I was always told Retinopathy would not go away thats why I put the message on the forum. Yet my optician tells me that background R1 is just a small bleed and it sometimes disperses on its own, other than that all I can say is that when I went for that other scan  Ihad a  bloodshot eye and asked if I should wait for it to clear but I was told it would make no difference and to have it done so was it that that caused the result of R1 background retinopathy or is it because from that point in time I really looked at all my food and kept strictly to no more than 5% sugar in any food I bought and ate plus I used optrex eye drops daily for that year because I found my eyes felt dry and maybe helped it to disperse. Other than that I can only asume that the result has improved and cleared up fingers crossed. Take care Sue

• Posted

Thank you, and continued good luck to you. Great that you are able to get your blood sugars down enoght so that it reversed. I have mild retinopathy which for now, although I see black spots, is holding its own. Hoping to reverse it too!
    • Posted

Hi dee

​Thanks for your reply, keep on the low sugars and carbs and hopefully you will have good luck the same as me. Keep smiling and well, Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.