Sudden onset of Small fiber neuropathy, advice needed please!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Long story short...all this started 6 months ago when I randomly had a sore throat, tickle and dry cough that lasted 9 weeks! I'd wake in the middle of the night and literally not be able to swallow, it felt like horrible tonsilitus however if wake in the morning and it be gone. Doctor checked my throat all healthy, but noticed a thyroid nodule, sent me for ultrasound and it turns out I have 2 nodules and multiple swelled glands under my chin (still there along with additional ones 6 months later) ENT wasn't concerned about nodules and said the glands were reactive. All bloods normal. That was that. However fast forward a few weeks I started to experience tooth ache, jaw ache and ear ache. Popping sensation in both ears and burning sensation in throat. Dentist said teeth were fine (did X-ray) ENT said ears were clear. Was treated unsuccessfully for acid reflux, nothing worked and still get the burning. I now have full body sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures, burning sensations EVERYWHERE and random aching pains all over body, been referred to neurologist who is running tests. Now I have blurred vision, sensitivity to light, terrible night vision that is getting worse, ears getting worse, dull aching teeth, tinnitus and tiny red dots all over my body that don't fade. I'd like to know what people think is causing this neuropathy if all my bloods are fine? Do you think the swollen persistent glands are related and the rash? Oh and I've had unintentional weightloss over the past 8 months and have high cholesterol which is random for a 28 year old 9stone female who has a healthy lifestyle and doesn't smoke... This is making me miserable any opinions or similar experienced will be welcome!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

See Doc again and what you have written print it out and let him read it, once your mind is at rest you can stop stressing so I wish you good luck and see Doc okay xx

You could be worrying and stressing yourself out over nothing but at least you will have peace of mind xx 

• Posted

Joanne I had all these symptoms and been dealing with this issue for 2 years, I've been pushing my issues on doctors and I'm starting to get answers..go to a rheumatologist and get checked for lupus.
    • Posted

Mary - I've been diagnosed with Lupus & I have had all kinds of strange things happening to my body. I put a post on this page about a week ago telling my symptoms & asked if anyone could reply to it telling me their symptoms. I don't have most of the things Joanne has listed, but I do have a chronic dry cough & have had it for years & two of the worst things I have is arthritis pain all over, especially in my hands - I ache all over. The other one is I have low grade fevers anywhere from 99 to 101.2 & I get so hot sweat just starts pouring on me. This is so miserable. My Rheumalogist has me on Plaquenil 100 mg & Prednisone (10 mg daily). If anyone else has these things plus a lot of other things like weakness & fatigue, dry mouth & eyes, sores form in mouth & tongue burns & inside my mouth & on my lips feel like the desert must feel! I am also on Civemeline for help with saliva & Restasis for eyes.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me something else that might help.

• Posted

Thanks Mary, my neurologist has tested for lupus and it's come back negative so that's ticked off the long list of elimination! Got an MRI head scan this week and a nerve test at the end of the month. Symptoms are progressing at a worrying rate it seems that every couple of days there's something new! Had a hearing test today and all come back okay apart from a couple of high decibels below 20, doesn't explain the ears popping and muffled hearing though
    • Posted

Oops that posted before I finished! I've looked up what I am seeing visually and it's been described as static vision whatever that is!! Everything I seem to have just seems so difficult to prove to professional when all you want is somebody to fix it or slow down such a rapid progression! Anyone have any ideas what causes or helps it? Neuro seems to think it's migrain (even though I have never suffered from migrain and rarely got a head ache before!)related but surely it would be constant and getting worse?

Thank you all for your comments! X

• Posted

Joanne I also have those same systems too, and it sounds like sjogren's, some times they have to do a biopsy of the lip to get a true positive. I myself will ask to be tested for Lyme and GBS to make sure I don't have these diseases that could have brought on the lupus. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi joanne 

I know its a old post iam haveing very simmilar symptoms as yours its been 6 months it all started after using antibiotics after an infection around my ears , hope your better now , i need desperate help iam loseing my mind from this pain any treatments or meds that worked iam 32 male and this has stoped my life 

• Posted

Hi joanne ive been looking all around the net for symptoms iam haveing which is just how you have discribed iam 32 and this pain started after infection was put on antibiotics, i need help hve you found any relife or treatments its all over my body tingling stinging cold and hot sensetions tooth ache mettalic taste and headaches , 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.