What to expect at my first psychiatry appointment?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I finally got my psychiatry appointment after waiting nearly 3 months for it, what can I expect when I go in?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonathan,

I'm glad that your appt has come through at last but I know it can be a daunting prospect. The thing is it's a BIG step for you but it's the psychiatrist's bread and butter. He/she is there to assess your mental health and devise the way forward that is best suited to you. They may need to ask some probing questions but just take your time and understand that they have your best interests as their goal. It's a win-win situation - they want you to get better and you want you to get better so it's like teamwork :-) Perhaps take some paper and a pen to write down notes or express emtions/thoughts that you can't put into words verbally. I've told my psychiatrist things that I've never told another living soul. It's completely confidential and the more honest you can be, the better equipped they will be to help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions - anything you're unsure of, ask away.

When is your appt? I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how it went if you feel able to share.

Good luck my friend. Think of this as a BIG step on the road to recovery.

• Posted

It's on Thursday 18th February, they offered me an appointment on Friday but it was in a different mental health clinic instead of my local mental health clinic and it was 10:30am in the morning, my grandmother couldn't take me as she has stuff to do on Friday, she's the only one who could take me, but I would rather wait to the 18th and see the psychiatrist in my own local mental health clinic, will I be offered mediciation on the first appointment if my anxiety/social anxiety is really bringing me down?
    • Posted

Well done for thinking this through so clearly - ur doing the right thing!

In my experience of the community mental health team (CMHT), the psychiatrist's area of expertise is getting the medication right so I would expect them to prescribe medication to get you started, and have a plan to see you again very shortly after starting new meds. Keep positive between now and the 18th. I know the waiting is frustrating but keeping positive will help. Take care :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.