Question on timing of medication dose,.please

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started Methimazole last week for hyperthyroid,....and have a question.  My med instructions are to take 5 mgs 3 times a day. 

Is there a good reason to medicate that way,...3 times a day?  If I take one right before bed at night and one in the morning there's a good 10 hr gap between doses.  Yet if I take one in the afternoon in between those two doses there's only a 6 hr gap.    Idk ..... I'm just not sure if the timing of my dosing is important?      It's be so much easier to just take 7.5 mgs 2 X's daily.  Just thinking out loud 😊  ugh!!  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi tracey

Im on carmezole

I take two in the morning to at lunch two at dinner

10mg each time

• Posted

Hi traceysue

Can I ask you what your thyroid hormone levels and antibodies were please when you started Methimazole?

Thanks

Cindy

• Posted

I listed my labs on 2 seperate posts last week,  scroll down and find my posts. Labs are posted in there.  
    • Posted

Hi Traceysue

Justf ound it, thanks.

I see  TSH was 01. Mine was 0.4.

Are u in the US?

• Posted

Hi Traceysue116, 

the biological half-life of Methimazole is 5-6 hours. That means after 5-6 hours only half of the initial dose is still in your bloodstream. The rest has been metabolised by the liver and eliminated by your kidneys. 

With your current dose a gap of 6 or 10 hours makes no difference. Your dose might be reduced in the future as your thyroid levels come down. If you take say only one tablet a day I would suggest taking it during the evening hours. I have been doing so for nearly a year and found it makes me slightly sluggish during the night and more active during the day. 

• Posted

I take one in the morning and one at night, about 12 hours apart. I get up very early to  a lot of time that Im awake.  It seems to be working for me but that's me.  I think everyone needs to see how it works for them best.
    • Posted

Thanks Angel.   I new to this whole thing of medication to balance my levels.   I'll learn to tweak things as I go along, I'll go in 4 weeks for my first new labs since starting Methimazole,....hopefully my numbers will at least be heading in the right direction.  Not even sure how fast it's possible to see a change in bloodwork?  ...... Learning as I go, 😋 I apreciate the help.     
    • Posted

I still feel new to this whole thing even though it's been eight months. Since starting on the methimazole I've noticed a big change from being so hyper. I don't feel totally sluggish but I so feel drained more easily and I refuse to go down quietly. I try to stay as active as possible during the day but like yesterday, I started off non stop for about 6 hours and then all of a sudden I hit a wall and wanted to take a nap. I have never needed a nap in the middle of the day so I got up and started doing stuff around the house to keep busy.  It's crazy on my part to think all this moving is going to make a difference because it really doesn't but mentally I think it does for me.

You'll learn more about it as you go along. Just hang in there and feel free to vent to me anytime.

• Posted

Thanks Angel 😋 you hang in there too girl.  So far I'm not liking this dam disease.   Lol..     Also wondering how long it takes the Methimazole to lessen some of my hyper symptoms?   .....   I'm only 12 days on medication and waiting for the magic to begin.    Lol....  I've heard it takes time,....  I'm anxious to feel less shakey,speedy.    
  • Posted

Hello Traceysue:

Because the thyroid is making hormone 24/7 and the body flters all day long, some medication have to be taken 2 or 3 times a day.  This is so you have a level in you. The med has a half life of 6 or so hours, but if you never took another dose the level would go out and no more medication in you.

That is normal 5mg 3 times a day.

Regards,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.