Shifting symptoms and dull ache in middle of chest

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been suffering from reflux for nearly a year now but it's been on and off and hasn't really responded to PPIs.  I'm now off the PPIs altogether (and haven't noticed any worsening really) but in the last 3 months my symtpoms have changed and i'm getting a dull ache in the centre of my chest, which gets worse when i bend over.  It's not much of an ache at all really but i do notice it.  I still get occasional flare up for my reflux (which i seem to feel on one side only) and i feel as though i'm only able to swallow on one side of my mouth (but i think this is psychological because nothing is getting stuck).  When i first got the dull ache i went back to my GP and she put me on 40mg daily omeprazole and i stopped drinking alcohol for the month.  Then Christmas came and i'd finished the course of PPIs and i was drinking over Christmas.  I only drink at the weekend and it's usuallyy a glass of wine on a friday and a sat, and 4 single measures of spirits over the whole weekend at most.  I've now stopped drinking again and will see how it goes.  does anyone have similar symptoms?  I avoid food well before bed time and chew slowly, etc. but don't know what else to do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have had similar symptoms to you with my acid reflux I get the dull ache in my chest also. Are you getting a lot of mucus production? Especially after eating? It's a good sign you are having bad reflux. Unfortunately the only way through this is to eat right and that means cutting out a lot of foods. I've just picked up dr kaufmans acid reflux recipe book to follow as this is a proven way to help with reflux. My reflux symptoms have gotten pretty bad and have lead to nasal congestion sinus problems and lightheadedness due to blocked ear. I seriously recommend cutting out foods such as dairy, alcohol and eating only alkaline foods nothing acidic as well as eating nothing after 7pm/4 hours before bed.
  • Posted

Reflux can also get stock behind the lungs, ribs and Throat which their is a test an ENT can do. Normaly you feel disconfort or pressure on the chest, or problem swallowing with vocal problems as well.
  • Posted

I also have the same problem about acid reflux. I have hiatal hernia which creates acid reflux to my esophagus. I have this since last year for about three months now. I cut off a lot of foods. For people like us I would personally say that alcohol and smoking is a NO NO just for own benefit and start changing our lifestyle on how we choose the food we eat. We have to eat from acid-containing foods to alkaline-forming foods. I have tried a few of tips and I am still on the process of observation so I can't tell if what I am doing now will works but we'll see. Hopefully, God willing. I don't eat rush. I take some rest when I am eating. Watching TV or reading helps to slow my time. I drink warm water the moment I wake up and do some jolting. Standing with arms widespread on each side, tiptoe as much as you can and bend it against you then jolt for 10 times. Then hold a short breath and release it quickly in and out for about 15 seconds. Let it rest for. Few minutes then start with a light meal. I start my day with 4 tablespoon of oatmeal and milk powder, honey,cinnamon and I slice some fresh banana. Mix it in a bowl with hot water then eat it. Do not drink water right away or any drinks except for soup everytime your done eating as this will add fullness in your stomach and your stomach will release more acid. After 30 minutes, I eat my fresh papaya fruit. I drink my water 30 minutes after my meal. I don't drink any other beverage, just all water and my malt drink which is Milo. I don't eat in lunch time, if I do I Just grab one piece of bread. Then at snack time around 4pm, I eat okra vegetable or they call it lady's finger. Just steam it or add it to soup. At night time I eat less. All vegetables and fish and fresh fruit, no meat like pork or chicken. My fruit at dinner is sometimes watermelon, melon or papaya. I usually eat until 8 pm. You should not eat 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. So by 10 pm, I can start going to bed or perhaps sleep. If you are hungry just drink warm water and wait until you are not bloated. If I Have to eat chicken, I remove the fats or its skin. If I cook my meal I don't use oil, I just add a few water as substitute to my oil. No spicy, no dairy, no oily and no vinegar. I hope this works on you. You may also try a tablespoon of honey and ground cinnamon and have it instead if you feel like eating chocolate or cake. If you find acid reflux irritating you may also try a t aspoon of baking soda and more water. It helps me too. But do not drink it everyday. It is only good for twice or thrice a week. Fasting also helps that is why I skip my lunch. But make sure you are chewing something a little every after 4 or 5 hours. 
    • Posted

The whole thing surrounding acidic forming alkaline foods are a myth. Acidic foods are acidic and alkaline are alkaline. We should only be eating alkaline. See dr kaufmans book.

I also have a hiatus like hernia diagnosed 5 months ago.

• Posted

So janzz, is this a life time way to now eat, or will acid reflux condition some day go away and one can once again enjoy things like tomatoes, spice, red wine, ... Etc.
    • Posted

You need to be strict on what you eat for a good few weeks or months for the oesophagus to heal then you can reintroduce foods. But there may be some foods that are just really bad triggers for you that you can't eat or eat at your own risk. I'd say eating pretty healthy in general is good but no once it's healed you can at least reintroduce foods in small amounts and see how you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.