Vertigo and Mirtazapine??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was recently put on 30mg of Mirtazapine and over the past 2 days have experienced severe Vertigo. Has anyone else experienced similar?

Today my GP prescribed Prochlorperazine 5mg tablets 3 times a day to combat the symptoms. .. was interested to know if anyone thought there was a connection between the Mirtazapine and Vertigo or just coincidental?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Is it just when you get up from sitting or lying down? Or is it all the time. I got the light headedness on rising whilst I was on mirtazapine. I think that's pretty common. Have you had your blood pressure checked?
    • Posted

Evergreen, hi again,

GP took my blood pressure and examination before prescribing the meds....

She suggests it's vertigo, I did have it 5 years ago so know the symptoms.

It's ever present, when I stand up, walk.... just move my eyes even. Scary stuff....if I focus on the floor when I walk it's not too bad but the minute I look up or move my eyes everything spins. I've fallen quite a few times this week during to the disorientation. ...

I think Im going to ask if I need to change back to sertraline or a different option... x

• Posted

Yes ddefinitely do that. It sounds like mirtazapine is not suiting you at all. I did read on here about it giving someone constant ear infections. As balance is to do with the ears, sounds like it is a rare side effect for some people. I wouldn't take any more of it if I were you.
  • Posted

Hi.  I assume you are using the term "vertigo" correctly ie dizziness (NOT lightheadedness or acrophobia).   There is a forum on this site for dizziness which might help you.

Re its connection with mirt I have had several bouts of vertigo over the years but they have never coincided with taking mirt.   My vertigo was probably caused by shifting of debris in my balance canals.  Symptoms were worst when rolling over in bed, however the bouts only lasted a few days.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hiya Oldbury,

It's definatry Vertigo, I suffered from it 5 years ago as part of vestibular disorder which lasted 2 months.

It started when I switched to mirtazapine. It's constant, when I stand, walk etc everything spins and I feel I'm being pulled to the our, worse at night time or anywhere dark. GP examined me and suggested it was vertigo but not sure if it's connected to meds or an ear infection etc...

My blood pressure was taken by the gp and normal....

Making me very disorientated and sick..

Im not sleeping more then 1-2 hours a night at present so that doesn't help....

I just hope it's one of those coincidental problems as opposed to the medication.

• Posted

Yes it is definitely Vertigo, and it may or may not be the mirtazapine to blame.   I am concerned that you are getting so little sleep.  Perhaps that is causing it.   I suggest that reducing your dose of mirt might help with sleep and vertigo.    If you find that your anxiety gets worse then, you could try taking sertraline with the mirt as I do.   The combination has a good reputation.         
  • Posted

I had dizziness for a while with 30mg, with muscle and join pain, I downgrad to 15mg, and it is better, the dizziness is gone and pain is less acute, almost bearable, but my doctor  think I should change for another antidepressant, I am on Mirtazepine since 6 months.  You have to wait to watch if your body adapt to the medication, Good luck
    • Posted

Vicky..... I'm also suffering from joint pains, including my fingers. ...the dizziness/vertigo is scarey.

I must admit I slept mire on 15mg but had awful dreams but the insomnia now is a real pain...

I just feel this medication is not doing me many favours ALTHOUGH I seem to be having less panic attacks at the moment.

I did wonder what the next option was if Martians Sertraline haven't worked....

Good luck to you, I hope you find a suitable option x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.