Anyone know about the two new surgeries for reflux?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hate taking Prevacid but it is the only thing that helps me.  I have GERD and hiatal hernia which I guess makes me doubly susceptible for reflux.  I've been on it for 10 years and have tried on many occasions to cut back on it, but within 2 days I am waking up with burning throat and chest.  The doctor says its safe.  I'm not so sure. 

I've been hoping that the surgeries I've read about, or the "ring" might be the answer.  One surgery involves making cuts and the other involves taking tucks in the esophagus.  I'm not so sure about the magnetic ring of metal beads - what if it breaks? 

Does anyone know anything about them?  Have any of you been on PPI's for as long as I have?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I suggest you visit the webiste www DownWithAcid org uk where you will find details of 8 types of fundoplication and 10 different "artificial" reflux techniques.

I'm assuming you're referring to Nissen fundoplication or LINX magnetic sphincter augmentation device.

My personal views are to recommend Nissen Fundoplication which has been practiced for 50 years, the last 20 years of which by laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery. Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication is still considered the gold standard. There have been more recent inventions and innovations in this field but not considered quite as good. 90% of those who had the LNF operation 20 years ago are happy they had it.

LINX presently looks as if it may be the best of the new technologies. It is a ring of magnetic titanium beads on a wire. It has been successfully used for over 10 years. Of those who have been followed up (with a mean average time of 5 years) 85% are happy with it.

LINX cannot be implanted in those with more than an absolute minimum hiatus hernia or with Barrett's Oesophagus.

LINX has had considerale publicity in America where, whenever a clinic introduces the technique, they have proudly announced the new technique - and the device looks pretty.

Torax medical, who make LINX, promote it on the "failings" of LNF in that many recipients of the surgery have difficulty burping or vommitting afterwards. For those who do experience this problem, it is usually short lived whilst the internal scar tissue heals. They do not publicise the fact the majority of those having the LINX implant experience swallowing difficulties - a solid bolus is required, along with good peristalsis, to open the ring.

Torax also sell LINX on the advantage that it is reversible - though LNF could be reversed if it were ever considered necessary.

The magnetic bracelet means if the recipient requires an MRI scan, it has to be given at a low level as it would cause explantation. And in certain magnetic fields, induction would cause heating.

In the 70's an artificial ring was produced to encircle the oesophagus in a similar way to LINX. Instead of magnets, it was effectively a rubber band. There was a clamour to have the "Angelchik" implanted. However 20 years later, the clamour was to have it removed. The band had started eroding the outside of the oesophagus tube. I hope the LINX device doesn't casue the same problems.

I was on PPIs for 15 years (increasing to the very high 80mg omeprazole daily) before I had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. It was the best thing I ever did.

• Posted

Not sure about surgeries. I've been on/off ppis for 7 months im pretty sure they don't work they don't usually work for most people so there's not much point in taking them and I have read a lot about them not being great long term. I'd suggest going off them but talk to your doctor you have to go off them slowly or they can cause a relapse or symptoms. The key to treating reflux is to eat right. Look at dr kaufmans acid reflux book I just found it she's helped a lot of people get better with reflux. Good luck
    • Posted

Sorry you are not finding PPIs much help, charmayne. They are the most effective way of reducing acid that millions of people worldwide find efficacious. There are a few, like you, for whom they don't work but that is actually a small minority.

I would never suggest anyone comes off them if they have been prescribed, without discussing it with your doctor. Much recent evidence shows they have a probable chemo-protective effect helping prevent the development of oesophageal cancer,

Whereas I respect Jamie Kauffman for her publicising extra-oesophageal reflux (for which she coined the terms "LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux(LPR)" and "silent reflux" ) I have many reservations about some of her theories and what she promotes.

Her talk of eosinophils hanging onto the oesophagus like lobsters hanging on a post do stretch incredulity. The acidity or alkalinity of foods has been hown to actually make no difference. And her advice to drink alkaline water could actally be dangerous. (Alkaline water has been shown to be a fraud perpetrated by bottled water companies in America - I can provide links if anyone wants.) There has only been one research study that shows alkaline water can be efficacious and that was conducted by Jamie Kauffman. It may have gained peer review but hasn't been replicated.

Unfortunately, for all the good she may have done, Jamie Kauffman now seems to be guided by profit in promoting her books.

The key to controlling your own body's reaction to foods is to identify your particular trgger foods.

The key to controlling reflux is not to overfill your stomach or do anything that compresses it or tips it whilst it is full.

• Posted

The problem is everything seems to be a trigger food as I have constant reflux. I don't know where you get your information from but I have read hundreds of articles and talked to quite a few people on ppis and they have said they don't work at all and are pretty bad for the long term.

Will try out dr kaufmans diet and see for myself if it works seems to work for a lot of people as there is a lot of good feedback on it

• Posted

My sources are Cochrane, PubMed, Eureka, etc.

An archive of research links relevant to acid, reflux, arrett's, adenocarcinoma etc is maintained on the Barrett's Wessex website with daily updates.

You may wish to check out "GASTROESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE AND PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS" on Google scholar for a starter.

• Posted

What was your medicines? I also used to have a PPI pantoprazole and Gasmotin and I forgot the other one. I have bad effects. Then my doctor change it to itopride ganaton and omeprazole omepron but I had the omegard instead. I think somehow I feel abit relief. It isn't easy. I wonder if it is okay to take vitamins while on a PPI's meds? A vitamin like vitamin C like bewell-C, a sodium ascorbate and not the acid ascorbic vitamin C. Also is it safe or okay to take other herbal supplements?
    • Posted

I'm on pantoprazole. 20mg for 8 weeks just upped it to twice a day. I don't know if it's working or not? My reflux hasn't been as bad since I quit dairy. Pretty sure it's safe to be on vitamins and herbals. I've been taking about 7 vitamins a day as well as a herbal liquid while I've been on them. Also safe to take gaviscon just not within 2 hours of medication
    • Posted

I had the same experience when I was taking pantoprazole that is why I went back to my doctor and told my doctor about the side effects then she change it to itopride Ganaton 50 mg tablet and omeprazole omeprone 40mg capsule. Perhaps your doctor can find another way. I am also taking vitamins but I am not sure if it safe.
    • Posted

Pretty sure it would be if it's things like magnesium and iron that's okay and herbal supplements are natural so should be okay. I'll see how the double dose does then let me doctor know I've tried nexium as well in the past and it didn't help th chronic pain I got from reflux
  • Posted

The Linx device is what my husband had done for his GERD. Day 10 in recovery.
    • Posted

Please keep in touch.  I'd love to know how that works for him. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.