Much improvement from my GP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, just me AGAIN....WELL...i think i told you i had increased my tramadol from 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night to 200mg and 100mg...this got rid of the arthritis pain in both my feet and bits and pieces throughout my body but hadn't touched the pain i associate with PMR so i also increased my pred from 7mg to 10mg and although it isn't a huge increase it done the trick. I thought i'd better make an appt with GP to confess my self medication..!! I really wasn't looking forward to the reaction as feel i've been poo poo'd on my pain and stiffness by my regular GP who wanted to reduce the pred even though i was in pain and when i went to see another GP in the practice felt she wasn't helpful either but on my appointment yesterday she was surprisingly fabulous. I went in with my tail between my legs but before i could confess she told me she'd emailed rheumatology for advice on my 'normal' esr numbers...they advised i have a vit D and creatin kinase blood test but told her they were happy if she wanted to refer me, which she's going to...i'd also asked about alendronic acid the last time to which she couldn't tell me anything but yesterday she'd done her homework and advised me to take it and as long as i have a pint of milk a day i don't need to take calcium. SO then i got to my confession...expecting the worst...i told her about both increases to which she said "i like to work together with my patients as you know your body and symptoms, i'm not sitting here waiting to get you into trouble" she said if i was taking 10mg pred it was all the more important i take the alendronic acid...which i'm happy to do. So all in all a really positive appointment and i'll be happy to return for follow up appts with her. woooohoooo

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I can't remember if you posted what your bone density scan revealed?  Good that you've got a doctor who is helpful!
    • Posted

I've not had a bone density scan Anhaga xx
    • Posted

Oops.  But your doctor put you on an OP drug?  
    • Posted

Yes, Issy, I'm very much with Anhaga on that. I have been on pred for over 6 years, after 4 years my bone density was unchanged from 3 months after the start and at a level that would never trigger need for AA. It is important to have a dexascan to get that base level and have it repeated in 2 years to see what has happened. I am not the only person who hasn't taken AA and had no problems with bine density - most of those had problems with the AA though!

Many doctors have been persuaded by clever marketing that giving your patients on pred AA will prevent loss of bone density (it probably does) but the reality is that not all patients lose bone density while on pred (less than half) and AA has some unpleasant side effects, some quite bad. The current thinking is it must not be used for more than 5 years to try to avoid these spontaneous fractures that can happen. There are at least 2 ladies on the forums who have had them after less than 2 years.

It makes far more sense to keep it for when it is needed because your bone density is at a lower level. There is little proof that AA prevents the dreaded hip fracture anyway, there are far more important precautions to take in that respect in the way of preventing falls in the first place.

First of all dexascan - then you can discuss the AA with your doctor on the basis of real need if your bone density turnsout to be low already.

• Posted

Following up on what Eileen says, there is a whole lot that you can do to maintain your bone strength even if low bone mass is diagnosed.  Provided you are not suffering any spinal fractures you should be perfectly fine to follow a non-medical bone building protocol!  I am so scared of the OP drugs that despite my doctor's urging I refused to take them (I'm considered at "high risk" for fracture within ten years) and perhaps partly because of all I'm doing for my bones my PMR seems to be really well under control and pred tapering (dead slow method) is successful so far.  smile
  • Posted

Great news re GP. That's one less stress in your life now she's working with you. Glad your increase has also helped and always nice to hear a positive outcome.
  • Posted

Thank you, IssyR  for the update! Loved to know it!

I am able to relate perfectly well to all you tell  because  I do the same you did going to see my GP if needed, in between the appointments to see the rheumy and for the same reason.

What  a great double improvement - from your GP and from your symptoms/ well being. Yes, wooohooo

• Posted

lol thanks Iellen....it's just such a massive weight off my shoulders xxx
  • Posted

well done in many ways.

I think we are all a little bit human, doctors and patients. Communications can get awful muddled sometimes.  Nothing quite like a bit of honesty all round. Not always easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.