Stabbing upper back pains ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi last couple of days i have been having stabbing or prickly pains in upper back between shoulder blades, these can be felt when i take a deep breath during an attack.  Also got bloating, burping and tenderness across waist at front so wondered if these pains could be connected to indigestion.  My indigestion had settled a bit just before xmas and i was following a plain diet but during xmas slipped into bad habits and risked some foods known to trigger it. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I too have these pains. It is so hard to tell if there is something else going on or if it is related to reflux. The upper back pain is worse in the evening after a long days work. And I have a desk job. Also have pain high up under the ribs.
    • Posted

Hi Valerie, thanks for reply. Mine also started a few weeks ago with pains around ribs in the area where the band of bra touches, then it was pains in various places in upper rib area and in front of left arm pit area. I was getting a bit panicky with the upper back pains as i know womens heart problems are different to mens. I have had ecg in the past after getting sharp pains in front of chest but it was clear. I am trying to work out if they could have been caused by indigestion or maybe gall bladder although a ultra sound could not see any stones.
    • Posted

I had my galbadder removed last June. I did have stones but the hydastat (so) test they did said it was functioning in normal limits. I ended up having it removed in June. I felt better then started to have these pains all over again. The one really sharp pain though ceases when I had it removed. I just had a ph test and esophagus testing done. I do have high acid and pain with and without acid reflux. That's all nice but this stuff will not go away. I am taxing maximum acid suppression now and also carafate. It helps with the throat burning. because I also have that symptoms. Feels like I have ammonia in my nose and throat. But the doctors do all these tests and they come back in normal levels. I am now keeping a log with everything. If you have not started that you should. Oh I also have fibromyalgia. And 52 year old

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.