diana21296

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had heavy nosebleeds as a side effect from the Pred?

Had them suddenly out of the blue on 30 mg Christmas week into New Year then they dried up by first week of Jan.  Rheumatologist at hosp on 7th Jan just shrugged.   I am still on 30 but yesterday starting to try to drop to 25 and if that doesn't work, will try 27.5 as want to avoid a flare up, I was still on 30 on Friday when had sudden nosebleed and have had 2 since then and 1 this morning on waking so they are back.  Don' want them in Tesco or driving!  so makes one feel rather insecure. GP says steroids thin the blood slightly and the skin gets thinner anyway.    Any sufferers out there?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It must be quite disconcerting if one has sudden nosebleeds. I haven't had nosebleeds but I have blood in the handkerchief when I blow my nose. Since reducing this seems to have ceased though does happen occasionally. I am now on  9.5mgs. 
  • Posted

I'm not having nosebleeds but I have had a few bleeds in my eyes. My eye doc checked and said not to worry. He keeps a close watch on me since I have GCA as well as PMR. Cataract surgery on both eyes last month went well. I'm still on 30 mg. pred, .8 meth and second shot of the actemra.

• Posted

Diana, your GP is right in saying that steroids can thin the blood and could possibly be the reason for your nosebleeds.  During my years on steroids, it was burst blood vessels in my eyes that concerned me, but they did resolve once I was off steroids.  I assume your GP has checked your blood pressure just to rule out high BP (another possible side effect of steroids) as the cause of the nosebleeds?
    • Posted

My blood pressure is 120/60 so well on the low side which Dr is pleased about.  Both GP and Rheumatologist seem uninterested so have to hope it is just a spell and they will dry up as they did over New Year. Had another is morning in bed for no reason and messy with the clots coming up from the throat.  Yuk!

• Posted

Yes i've had nosebleeds for the first time in my life. I've put it down to thinning of the skin on the nasal passage. Make sure you have lots of tissues with you and pinch bridge of nose. cold compresses help. They don't last too long. Just another thing to put up with I'm afraid.
    • Posted

My OH sometimes has nose bleeds and was advised by nurse not to pinch the bridge of his but to pinch it below the bridge and to keep his head down rather than up. It works!
    • Posted

Thank you for reply.  Funny they stopped first week of Jan and now for  no reason suddenly started up again.  Nothing today so maybe that's it for now!
  • Posted

Hi Diana. Great name. It is my lovely daughters name as well. Anyway, when I was first put on prednisone 15 months ago I started at 20 mg/day and did have a couple of minor nosebleeds which got worse 6 weeks later when I was put on warfarin to thin my blood because of blood clots (DVT) in my leg. The old double whammy. As I tapered the prednisone the nose bleeds eventually did stop. I am now on 3 mg/day (up from 2 mg because of a flare up) and no more nosebleeds. This disorder is bad enough without complications from the medication. Hopefully your nosebleeds will diminish as you taper the prednisone. I am sorry that you are in the PMR club. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind reply - you are doing brilliantly - to be down so low after only 15 months is enviable.  Think it is easier for men than for women as I have 2 male friends who tapered down successfully and were done and dusted in 2 years.  I had a heavy nosebleed last night at 11pm so had to sit upright till midnight after I had pinched the nose and put on the ice etc.  None today and hoping to drop ok to 25mg.  They suddenly start for no reason and can't work out why.  Never mind - I can deal with them at home now no problem. Take  the wipes if I go out, just in case! Glad yours are a thing of the past!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.