Swab Test

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wanted to pass some info along. My nieces son is going through bad depression. She took him to a doctor and the first thing the doctor did after talking with him is Swabbed the inside of his cheek to test to see what ssri would work the best with his receptors. This is in Pennsylvania.

I don't know if it's nonsense or not but thought it worth passing along.

God bless!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow if this is true what amazing progress? Not heard of it in the UK though.
  • Posted

Depression is serious. It does require medication. Having had a parent seriously affected by depression I've had to deal with it my entire life in one way or another. First, approach with respect. It's very real and it's very painful. Take patient to more then one doctor. Medicine helps but not alone. Seek psychiatric help as well.
  • Posted

I have never heard of this.  In the UK under the good old NHS they barely spend 10 minutes with you.  Just long enough to shove you some ad's and put you on the list for counselling.   It can take up to a year coz of demand.   Sounds like you get far better treatment there.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.