Another question. Sorry! Methimazole question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Started Methimazole 8 days ago after being diagnosed with hyperthyroid due to a hot nodule spitting out excess thyroid hormones,  How long does it generally take this medication to start helping my symptoms?   Shaky insides,heart racing,anxious feeling,trouble sleeping,weightloss,..etc.       Please & TY 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Traceysue:

Depending on your dose it could take up to 2 weeks although it could be faster in some people. Doses range normally from 5mg to 40mg in a day. If you have any hives or  throat swelling or any trouble in breathing see your ER or A&E . 

Keep us posted.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly.  Will do,   I take 15 mgs a day,   5 mgs 3 times a day.  
  • Posted

Hi traceysue - I'm in the UK and started on carbimazole 20mg 5 days ago (one in the evening). I have started to feel better already - didn't think it would be this quick. Hoping the weight is going to creep back on, although slighty concerned I may end up heavier than I started. Good Luck :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.