Too risky for hysterectomy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Saw my consultant last Tuesday. I thought we were going.to discuss my having a hysterectomy. Have been considering this for a while now. I was under impression he though it was the best option. Have been on esyma for over s year. Now on my fourth course. It's stopped my periods but not had any effect on the size of fibroid which is now 14x12x9.5. He had said no to surgery as it is too risky. He said it wasn't just my weight ( am losing), but that there were other risks, position and the fact I would have to. be cut vertically. He has now decided to. continue with esmaya indefinitely, without a break just to stop exceptionally heavy periods. Left feeling confused and now I have had time to think have so many questions. Can I really take esmya for so long without a break, is there nothing else to try. Anyone else out there had a similar experience.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Lesley, I have just had a total hysterectomy with bso and had vertical incision.i had it done because of a very large fibroid although not as large has yours Hun but I did have an adenemosis as well which I didn't know I had and a ovarian cyst. I'm not sure as to the reasons why they won't do op unless you have other underlying health risks. Perhaps if you speak with your consultant and ask him the reasons why Hun.

Im 4 and a half weeks post op and currently( touch wood) I'm feeling good now, still get a bit achy if I have done to much though. It's my body telling me off haha

Hope you get it sorted Hun, take care

Ann xx

• Posted

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience, as far as I am aware i don't have any major health problems. Could do with losing some weight and have mild asthma which has been under control for years. Good to hear you are feeling so much better. I think I was upset because he had seemed to think op would be a good idea and then sobopposed
    • Posted

Opposed the minute I walked in. Wonder.if.it's because fibroid hasn't shrunk?
  • Posted

Get a second opinion that advice is wrong. I have a 10cm Fibroid and have just had a procedure called Uterine Fibrid Embolisation. It's done by a Radiologist rather than a Gynocoligist. But he won't recommend it cos he won't want you to have it. He will tell you it won't work. Also he can do a Myomectomy but sounds like he has ruled that out. So I would definitely have a 2nd opinion you can't be on Esyme for good and I would guess that you want rid of the Swollen stomach.

In my case I had 3 Zoladex injections which gave me severe hot flushes. I then had a Endo Abalation which made everything worse and I gained 22lbs . Whatever you decide good luck and you can message me if you want anymore information.

• Posted

Interesting Lesley, I was wondering if anyone had been put on it indefinitely. My situation is similar, with the risky surgery and vertical cut. My fibroids do shrink somewhat when I take Esmya, and the bleeding stops completely, but now I've just started my 3rd course and in the time between courses they grow back almost to the original size. I had heard one of the reasons for not being on it continuously was the risk of osteoporosis, but it seems to be being prescribed for longer now. My gynae is happy to carry out the surgery after slight shrinkage, it's me who's stalling.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am now wondering if mine had grown back by the time I had my last scan. I am a bit worried about continuing with esyma without taking breaks. Can't find any info on possible side effects. I was concerned about increased risk of cancer as our family had a history of cervical and breast cancer. How big is your fibroid?
    • Posted

I have many, my gynae never gave me precise dimensions, but the largest is probably similar to yours. I think my uterus is fairly overgrown with them, and they have grown into one another. My worst time was last year when one of them degenerated and I was in excruciating pain for weeks, and the bleeding was horrendous.
  • Posted

I don't think you can be on it that long because it is not good for your bones.  I thought 3 months was tops.  I also had a UFE for a 10 cm fibroid and it has shrunk 65%, it's been about 4 months now since I've had the procedure.  It is not an easy procedure, but safer than a hysterectomy.  You need to speak with an Interventional Radiologist who is experienced in this area.  Mine had done 500 previous UFEs so I felt confident.  I agree with this thread that you should get a second opinion, particularly since long term hormone therapy is not standard.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you for advice. I am seeing my gp soon and I think I will ask her about your suggestions as don't back to gynaecologist til August.
    • Posted

Hi.

I have spoken to my gp, she was very helpful and advised that a hysterectomy may not be should a good idea as such a major op and I do need to lose quite a bit more weight. She did say I should explore other options and is going to write to the consultant with my

concerns.

What did surprise me was that she has refused to prescribe esyma for me

Even though she had had a letter as

asking her to. She has said that she is

unable to a its not licenced to be used the way he wants me to take it. She is worried about me taking it for over 4 years without knowing the side effects. So the says continues I am now

anaemic and on iron tablets

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.