Never Give Up

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had my THR in July 2014, so about 18 months ago, I had a little help after the initial few months but lost my confidence terribly! I am usually a very confident person so this may explain why it's taken me so long to get over myself! smile

​I mentioned on other threads about going to aerobics with a younger friend who's also had a THR (last year). I didn't know whether the aerobics were going to kill or cure because I'm 71 and have never been 'sporty' at all! (although I used to love dancing years ago).

​Now then, today the first time ever, I walked to church which is a distance of oh a couple of blocks but....without my stick lol​ To say I'm delighted is an understatement! I did take my walking stick with me folded up, just in case but honestly I do hope this means that at long last I've got my head sorted as well as my body and will continue on this road. The stick can be a nuisance although I will continue to take it with me as a precaution.

​Why has it taken me so long....because I'm a whimp cheesygrin​ no I don't think so, its not just the physical it's getting our brain sorted too! I may always have a limp not sure yet but please don't give up when time seems to pass without any progress. I know I leaned and relied much to much on my walking stick as I convinced myself that this artificial hip wouldn't be as good as my own, even though my own had deteriorated! Brain power!

​My next door neighbour said to me a few months ago that I should get a buggy like she has, no way but perhaps I needed that motivation to try harder!

​Sorry this is so long but things are looking so much more positive, I'd almost given up thinking I was going to be disabled, have a terrible limp nad use a stick for life! Now I'm not sure that is necessarily the case! Hooray!

7 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

thats great news milliejean, I am sure its more a case of getting the confidence to do things, when I went back to work 5 weeks ago (had my o on 5 nov) I took my stick with me. then after a couple of days headed out into town for my daily lunchtime walk and forgot my stick! I decided rather than go back for it I would see how I got on without it and havent used it since! I am 60 and not a sporty person either I used to enjoy walking but hate the gym etc. I went back to pilates last week and found that helpful so take it slowly but maybe give that a try too

Best wishes Julie 

• Posted

GREAT NEWS, well done to you.

It just goes to show that time is a great healer but our confidence can help it along no end. Just think of your new hip as your bionic hip, it is stronger than the original in many ways, but your body does need to adapt to it, muscles need to grow around it and accept it to. Your daily routine, exercises and walks will all help it along. So take it slowly and soon you will forget you ever needed a stick at all. CONGRATULATIONS. x

• Posted

Well done, I dont like exercise but miss walking, hoping to be able to do some walking in the summer, I have my hip done on Tuesady but have been told the other one may want doing soon.So loooking forward to be able to go and go for a little walk soon.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing that I will be determined more than ever now.  I did Pilates before my ops and was quite depressed that I wouldn't be able to go back but from what you said I am determined to go.
    • Posted

Sue. You will definitely be able to go back to Pilates. It was one of my fears too but unfounded. I started classes with my nhs physio when I was 10 weeks post op. It was great and I felt powerful for the first time in a long time. I go to a private class now and haven't looked back. Have you had your op?

Catrin

• Posted

Mat and standing. Not sure what reformer is? the physio was excellent as there are a couple of moves you have to be careful with.
  • Posted

So are you limping much less now? I am 4 1/2 months out and have a pretty significant limp. I just stopped using a cane at home last week. When I go out I take it with me in case I feel the imbalance. The side of my hip hurts when I try to walk correctly therefore it's hard to go very far. I will be very upset if I'm left with a limp. I feel for certain that my leg length is longer. That's why it's hard to walk. My OS refuses to acknowledge that the difference is significant but I know it is. I'm trying to find a new ortho now as I have lost faith in this one. He was so arrogant to me at my last visit after I asked about the leg length. I also mentioned that his surgical assistant approached me just before I had the anesthesia and said, " so you're having a total knee replacement." I was having a hip done and told him to make my hip right now. I mentioned this to the OS at my one month also visit and asked where I was going with it because nothing happened. He told me also that it sounded like a have ahrd time letting go of things. He basically put me down and attempted to intimidate me. I will not continue my care with him. Right now I have no doctor. The patient care advocate told me a week ago that she would call me with a recommendation. 
    • Posted

Sorry I couldn't find my threads! Not the best website!!! Ok maybe its me but I would just say that give yourself time and have patience with yourself. I think what I got wrong apart from leaning and relying too heavily on a walking stick.....is lack of confidence and exercise! It's not just the hip but the muscles, tendons, and everything else that's been 'cut through' that needs to heal. That can take some time. I still limp but more when I'm tired or have overdone it! So it's getting to know our limitations which are all different and getting our heads round this foreign 'thing'  inside our body! What encouraged me (seriously) was watching all the disabled forces personnel learning how to walk again and taking part in sport! Amazing courage and determination God love them smile so that spurred me on to keep on!  The legs still feel different, my un-operated leg sometimes feels a lot heavier! My bionic one much lighter!! Although I don't know what was used, I got very little information apart from the 'process'! It does get better, it does improve smile Hoping that you will gain confidence and all goes well with your progress.
    • Posted

Oh and my limp is very slight now!
    • Posted

Free spirit, I am appalled at your current treatment by your orthopedist! And how completely upsetting that comment was by his assistant just before surgery about you having a knee replacement! That is unforgiveable. I think you are right seeking a second opinion. My surgeon has been dismissive of my inability to walk without pain/limp (I am now almost 7 months out) and so I am seeing another doctor now. He ordered more scans and I am seeing him next week for the results. My original surgeon didn't seem to understand that I want a specific diagnosis for what is wrong, not just vague comments about "something being weak" and "PT will make it [whatever it is!] stronger" or "Let's try a steroid injection." I want to know exactly what is wrong and then have a treatment plan to fix it. But the first ortho just doesn't get it.

So keep searching for appropriate professionals to help figure out what is wrong. It is not normal to still have a limp at 4 1/2 months. My best wishes to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.