How long do flare ups last?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I know this is probably a very individual experience but I'd like to ask...how long do flare ups generally last? My current one has been at its peak for about 7 days although it's starting to subside it's really unfomfortable. I've only had liquids for the past week yet still feel I've eaten a massive Christmas dinner. I've been off work for 4 days but really need to get back. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Pauline,

I'm new to this site, I was diagnosed with diverticulosis about 5 years ago during a routine colonoscopy. I had no issues until right after new years day this year. I thought it was just the flu with cramps on my left side that seemed to move from my groin to just under my rib cage, very painful. This lasted about a week before I went to see my doctor, she examined me and had a blood workup done to rule out infection, as a precaution she ordered a CT to see if it was indeed a flare up. She suspected a mild flare up and had me start on a liquid diet and illiminate fiber to give my system a chance to rest. After about a week the symptoms did minimize, down to an occasional discomfort point around the midpoint on my left side.

• Posted

Hi David,

Thank you for your response, the area you describe is exactly where I have the pain and discomfort. I suppose I will just have to be a bit more patient with myself. As a normally very active person with an active career I find it frustrating when this slows me down. Just want it gone.lol. Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,

Pauline

• Posted

After about two weeks the pain issues were gone, but there was always a feeling like some others on this site have discredit as stich feeling in the area, not constant, I seem to feel them more when sitting than standing, Eventually after a period of time with little or no fiber in your diet, you get constipated, which causes you to strain which causes pain. Then you slowly you start to experiment with reintroducing fiber into your diet (DON'T try to do to much right off) I'F you over do it , you will cause more gas and bloating, which causes" you guessed it" more pain.My wife is a nurse and has suggested using a Nutritional Bullet RX to make a smoothy (look them up ) to treat inflamation and digestion. By getting these key ingredients absorbed into intestines without your system having to work hard to break them down may help you long term.
    • Posted

Thank you David, my son has a nutri bullet and I've used it every now and then, I will start using it more now. Thank you to your wife for the tip. Funny you should say about the stitch. .that's exactly how I have described it. Thank you again for your reply and tip. I really appreciate it.
    • Posted

I replied to your comment and it came.up with an error. I will try again...thank you to.your wife about the Nutri bullet. My son has one and I have used it every now and then. I will have to 'borrow' it more often

I understand what you mean about the stitch like feeling. That's exactly how I describe it.i appreciate your reply. Thank you.

• Posted

Your welcome Pauline,

It's helpful to get feeback from folks who really do know what your going through.

Sometimes if you just go to read up on a subject without the feedback, you end up with more unanswered questions than when you started.

I'm going for my regularly scheduled 5 year colonoscopy on April 1st ( No fooling!!). Not looking forward to it, but after its done at least you know where you stand and where you go with treatment from there, it's the not knowing that messes with your mind, because you always imagine the worst prognosis.

• Posted

Hi Pauline, if pain doesn't stop, go back to your GP, you might need antibiotics. I suffered terribly for 18 months before a diagnosis. Now I know what it is, I go to GP as soon as I get symptoms and lay off the fibre and food and I usually start to improve within 3 days. Without antibiotics it would last me 7+ days and then I'd be out of sorts for a few more days.
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon Im due back to the GP in a couple of days. ive been on a liquid diet for a week and still no relief. Feel as big as a house lol.
    • Posted

I agree with you David about the confusing info out there. It is a minefield. Very good luck with your appointment. Hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.