Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone tried Amitriptyline 10mg and had any sucess with it

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What does it do exactly?
    • Posted

its supposed to help with pain and Bloating guess Im going to try it kinda of scared it might mess with my blood sugar but the Doctor wants me to try it in a low dose
    • Posted

Can't see that 10mg would work and it does give false blood sugar levels. Can also speed up your heart rate in higher long term doses.
  • Posted

Hi Shelly

Been in them nearly a week, got headache but had one before started in them, but after reading about them one of the common side effects is a headache.

What has doc put you on them for?

• Posted

For my IBS going to start it tonight will let you how it goes
  • Posted

Its often used for pain in inflammatory conditions, classed as a nerve end calmer, as also sedative affect and helps with sleep, but thats  more in higher doses, low dose 10mg doesnt have too much in side affects, but does cause being thirsty.  Not heard it being used for ibs, but given for quite a few problems.  
  • Posted

It is one of the original older antidepressant medications for depression, but they have found many other uses for it.  It does make you sleepy, so therefore can help sleep.  It might be helpful.
  • Posted

Hi Shelly, yes I asked to try this mid December as daily pain getting me down. I have UC and IBS. I can take up to 20 mg but find 10 mg does the trick. Helped straight away but about 4-6 weeks for better relief, so give it time. No side effects other than spaced out feeling in morning and hard to get out of bed so I take mine early evening..about 7 ish. Good luck and let us know how you do.Wonder drug for many people even in small dose😃
    • Posted

Hi Jill,

Do you get an headache with the fuzzy feeling in a morning, i don't know if mine is related to taking the pills or if it just a tension headache, because I get the fuzzy eyes and tension feelings in my neck?

The non alcohol drinking is a pain, I use to enjoy a can or two on an evening after work,

• Posted

I would venture to guess that it is a side effect of he amtripyline (elavil); these old antidepressants can leave you with some of those type feelings.
    • Posted

Hi,no headache as such, just takes me a while to wake up properly...hence I take it about 7 pm and usually sleep very well !
    • Posted

Well so far no help with pain at all and it keeps me awake but nothing helps me sleep anyway hope it kicks in soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.