hip replacement after 40 years of arthrodesis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just had  my arthrodesis taken down and a new hip ,after 40 years of problems related to the blockage. It was rather painful and my leg muscles are very weak, my docteur says it may take up to 2 years to get them active, in the meantime I am on crutches. Its great to be able to sit normaly, almost difficult to imagine! It was difficult to find a doctor that new how and was willing to do this operation and he said that due to muscle loss it was fairly risky. Any how I am 7 weeks post op with little pain and optimistic!  I would like to know if anyone has ideas about getting the muscles to work?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What advice has your surgeon given you?  I would follow his advice and if he hasn't given you any, please ask him.

Generally, walking is considered the best exercise to gradually improve the muscles.  However, you are on crutches, are you partial weight bearing or none weight bearing.  My suggestion is to take your time and gradually give the muscles chance to recover themselves.  Who was your surgeon.  Are your legs equal after surgery?

• Posted

Prof Du Jardin in Rouen university hospital France, yes my legs are more or less equal, which is good as one was shorter before surgery. I am partial weight bearing and my doctor says lots of rest for 2 to 3 months then perhaps physio, I am going to a hot natural spa regulary and that seems to help as I can walk in the water without any strain. The hospital was excellent in every way and I feel my doctor to be very talented. 
    • Posted

The  spa sounds great and I find warm water helps relax my muscles.   I think your surgeons advice is good, from one who is had three hip surgeries!, if the surgeon has done a good job, the muscles should slowly improve without too much intervention, but will take time. I had my Left THR 4 months ago and haven't been to a physio yet.  I'm now just doing a few exercises to improve flexor strength as difficult to lift my leg on and off car clutch and if progress halts will then go to a physio or trainer.

Sounds as though you are living in France, my favourite country!!

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Geoff,

My LTHR was performed following a serious accident in which I sustained multiple (17) fractures, muscle tears etc. I had been very fit and active before my accident but had complications following my operation.

Eventually I was refered for hydrotherapy and was found to have a problem with the muscles that although they were "firing", they were not comunicating with each other, this can be seen when standing on one leg (operated leg). I would deffinatly say get referred for hydrotherapy as the exercises I was taught have made a significant difference and being in the water means you can push yourself harder without the worry of falling over or damage.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Dot.

• Posted

Glad to hear you had the operation and don't have much pain! I hope your surgeon will have recommendations for you for ways to get your strength back. He is the one in the best position to know exactly what you will need for recovery.

Have you been referred for physical therapy? That might be a good way to start. Whatever you do, go slowly and don't overdo things so that your create new problems. If it is comfortable for you to walk with crutches, then walk as much as feels good. That will work muscles. I used a rolling walker with a seat when inside my house. I could put things on the seat when needing to move things around, and it allowed me to get a really fluid walk going instead of having to lurch along with crutches.

• Posted

It sounds like you have had it rougher than most.  So sorry for your long time suffering.  It sounds like this surgery has given you hope and I sure hope the best for you!  I am sure you have the art of practicing patience down pat, but I wanted to add that it appears as though patience will help you through this leg of your journey.  

There is something here in the States called Stem that is used for many purposes.  It has been also called Tens Unit.  It is electrical stimulation that is safe and portable.  Very small units you can carry around with you that has patches placed purposefully on your body and you can set it the way you want, the way your doctor or physio wants.  You might check into it.  I have used one of these in the past, but am unfamiliar with studies about how it might help to stimulate muscles to work.

Glad to hear you are doing so well and that you found a talented surgeon to help you!

Dawn, USA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.