Hi just wondered if anyone else feels the safe

Posted , 3 users are following.

How I'm feeling I'm sure is linked to my depression, i feel trapped in my job & feel overwhelmed constantly. I work in the healthcare sector as a hca, I kinda fell into this role after my mum passed away, I don't have any healthcare background apart from looking after my mum yet I must give the impression I know more, I hate the responsibility and always doubt my self. I don't think this is the right environment for me, I don't want to progress as a nurse or work in a different healthcare setting. I just feel so guilty and like I'm letting everyone down especially my team & husband,but I'm just not good enough in this role, I'm not good enough for anything, i feel I can't take things in or struggle to understand, I wish these feelings would go away?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm in a new job myself. Same thing medical field. Occupational medicine. I do not get to do what I was highered for most days. I never feel successful in my job and get repermanded often. My best advice is seek meds for anxiety and just rest knowing you gave your best everyday till a different door opens up. God is good at guiding us. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi Bid, there are a couple of things that in my opinion!! might be happening like anxiety of not succeeding in job and in the face of your role? To be honest though I think most people feel like they fell into a job and are stuck doing it ! Perhaps there is a slot of stress on you also? Take care!
  • Posted

Hi Bid,

You have found an important caring role for yourself but there is a lot of pressure involved and it seems to me that you are placing even more pressure on yourself. What sort of feedback have you had from your manager and colleagues? Are there any colleagues that you can talk freely and openly with? It's OK to ask for help and advice if you are not sure but I'm sensing from your doubts that you really don't see your future in this role. Would you enjoy it more if you felt more confident in yourself and your own abilities? Sometimes that can just be resolved with some extra training and practice. The depression has obviously knocked your confidence a lot so we need to look at how we can help you to rediscover your self-worth. The contribution that you make in this life is a special and unique one :-) You are doing the best that you can and it's your own high expectations that you are not meeting. If you are feeling overwhelmed then someting needs to change for you to feel better; either something in your mind-set or something externally in what you are doing on a daily basis. I think the Occupational Health dept where you work might be able to offer you some support. Also, when I worked for the NHS, there was a free Employee Assistance Helpline which offered me some counselling when I needed it.

Be strong and decide where you would like your life to go. Life is a journey not a race. If there's something you don't like, you often have the power within yourself to change it. Good luck :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.