Hello from a new hipster!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've just joined this great group. I am 2 weeks post op THR at the tender age of 63. Really helpful to read about other people's experiences and I look forward to sharing some of my own. My main problems so far have been sleeping on my back and worrying about dislocation!

4 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome, Rosemary. Those are two worries that many of us have! I was flat-out unable to sleep on my back, and ended up doing all my sleeping sitting propped up for 6 weeks. Ugh. As long as you stick to the 90 degree rule, and you move around slowly and mindfully, you are not likely to have a dislocation. The first 6 - 12 weeks are when it happens most frequently (although still quite rare), so when you can get past that, you are ok. Honestly, I was spending so much physical and mental energy getting through each day that I didn't spend much time thinking about it.
  • Posted

That is a problem Rosemary still haven't got used to sleeping on my back
  • Posted

I havent had my thr yet but when i broke my collar bone i couldnt lie on my back at the time. I got some big pillows and slept sitting up sort off. Kind of helped a bit.

Going for my pre ops tomorrow and my operation is on the 29th. Cant wait to start living for the first time after my recovery 😊 x

• Posted

Hope it goes well tomorrow. Do let us know. Not long now :-)

Michael

• Posted

Thannk you. I will make ure to let you all know how it went. Im so nervous haha x
  • Posted

Hi Rosemary

Great to hear from you - welcome to this amazing refuge for Hippies cheesygrin

I have not been able to sleep on my back since my early 20s (now 55). Now,at 18 days post op, the only way I can sleep is to bolster myself up to a 40 degree angle from my lower back upwards - simulating a hospital bed with the back raised. This position also prevents the temptation of rolling over in my sleep.

I hope that helps

Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael

i gave just done something sill a right hand stretch of about 2 feet.  I was lying in be trying to get a glass of water, now my groin aches do you think it will be ok, you would feel it if the hip popped out wouldn't you?

• Posted

Generally speaking, if it is a discomfort, you may have stretched something - perhaps a muscle you have not used in a day or two. 

I understand from others here that if you dislocate your new hip, you would certainly know - not be able to move and need to call 999 and get an ambulance. I did ask on the basis that your new hip does not have nerves, but the reply was unanimous - the area around would scream out.

• Posted

Thank you so much for that very comforting to know I can ask such questions
    • Posted

On a lighter note, I recall reading (in the papers) about a footballer (maybe rugby) dislocated his hip in a game. The physio popped it back but the man was in even more pain. Apparently, the physio trapped his testicle in the socket. The hospital said that if you dislocate anything, get yourself to a hospital and do not try to do this at home.

It made me laugh and cry at the same time - not for the same reason lol

This great forum is a little slice of heaven wehere we can ask questions to our hearts content - each one is valid and valued.

Michael x 

• Posted

Hi Rosemary

I am a new to the forum as well. I am 3 weeks post op and worried about dislocation but as everyone says just remember the 90 degree rule .I hate sleeping on my back but propping yourself up on pillows really helps . Keep reading all the responses on this forum as it is really good to hear about everyone's experiences and reassurances.

Keep going , it does get easier : )

Hilary

• Posted

Hi Hillary, 

Warm welcome to our hippie family too - 

This is really a great place to come to when you have any questions or concerns - This is how we usually find this site ...  we are so in our body , every little twitch, pain, stab we feel, we freak out - 

how are you doing otherwise?

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

Every day brings a new challenge but it's going in the right direction : ) the lovely people on this forum keep me sane when I have woken up for yet another wee in the middle of the night and can't get comfy again !

Love and light

Hilary

• Posted

Hi Graham

Just had a look at your website and its brilliant ! It is so true that only another hippie can appreciate all the ' delights ' that come our way post op !!

All the best

Hilary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.