Amitriptyline for headaches

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been prescribed 10mg to see if it can ease headaches/ sinus headaches. I also have vertigo and I am slightly concerned as a lot of people find it makes me dizzy and groggy. With 10mg a day for a month should this happen? Do these work for conditions other than depression

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You have been prescribed a low dose and yes you may find it makes you feel a bit "groggy" initially (as does lots of drugs) your body will get used to it. Take it about 2 hours before bedtime and avoid alcohol until your body gets used to the Amitriptyline.
  • Posted

Sorry should have added that Amitriptyline is rarely prescribed for depression these days now that there are new more modern antidepressants on the market. I take it for pain other people take it to prevent migraines.
    • Posted

Thank you. I was a little unsure initially but your reply was very helpful. 
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

i was prescribed 10mg daily to prevent migraines. Initially I did suffer from dizziness and drowsiness but, after about 3 weeks this subsided. So far I am migraine free so stick with it for your headaches/sinus. I am told that this particular drug isn't one usually prescribed for depression nowadays

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.

Can I ask if the dizziness was constant and was it managble? (I suffer from vertigo so it makes me slightly anxious thinking it could be worse again!). 

• Posted

Why don't you start and take the Amitriptyline when you don't have to get up for work for instance and see how you react. I started on 20mgs initially and had no problems at all. You may also be ok but you won't know until you try it.
    • Posted

No dizziness not constant, just first thing in the morning. I started by taking meds at bedtime but brought this forward to about 2 hours before bed, that seemed to help
    • Posted

I have mentioned about taking it 2 hours before bedtime in my previous post but that again trial and error. Some patients take it 3-4 hours before especially if they still feel tired on a morning. It took me a few weeks to find the best time to take it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.