Do symptoms ever fully stop

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone could provide their experiences. Once you have been diagnosed with Diverticlosis and had your first flare up, once you've gotten treatment and the symptoms slowly subside. Do any of you continue to get dull aches occasionally or if you twist or turn a certain way cause you mild pain.

Even after about 6 weeks? BM's have been regular and normal. Still watching what I eat and avoiding raw vegtables, nuts, ect... drinking loads of fluids too. Just wanted to hear some feedback of what is "Normal" with this condition.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if there is a normal. Got my third flare up with infection since beginning December when I was first diagnosed. Keep a food diary and see if you have any trigger foods. Think mine was toast this time. Stress is also a factor so try and relax as much as you can. It's a weird condition to suffer as you can never tell what is going to happen. One day you can eat one thing and the next time you have it you may find it causes you pain. One thing I am now trying is a probiotic which I was advised to have by a fellow sufferer. Quite honestly I will try anything to try and alleviate the symptoms as much as possible. Also he told me red meat can be a trigger so avoiding that. Wishing you well x
  • Posted

Personally speaking my symptoms have only just calmed down since my last flare up in Dec. But every day I am in discomfort and aware of the slight pain in my left side which is tolerable now but nevertheless still there. I am continuing to avoid all red meat, nuts and seeds, fruit and most veg including tomatoes and potatoes. All these effect me badly and at the moment i am getting bye quite comfortably on fish, chicken and wholewheat pasta.

I have tried making my own fruit n veg smoothies the past few days and so far so good.

I also take actimel probiotic drink in the mornings and boost it in the afternoon with Acidophilus pills from Holland n Barret in the afternoon. Fingers crossed and still being extra careful.

Been told mine is extensive and its most likely i will need surgery but trying to avoid this if possible.

Everyone is different so its trial and error. Hope you gain control soon. Its horrible!!! Take Care!

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback, I'm new at this and what you discribed is exactly what I'm feeling, no real pain, but in the same location about the mid point on my left side that you know it's always there.

I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy April 1st so I should know more about the extent of the ideas I have. I was first diagnosed about 5 yrs ago during a normal 5 yr checkup but only had my 1st flare up at the beginning of January this year. No infection noted from my bloodwork, my doctor just had me go to liquid diet and cut out the fiber. It's a slow process to get back to Normal that's why I'm reaching out to you guys to help me remain calm and not jump to conclusions

I don't want to fast forward to surgery just yet without seeing if life style changes can be successful and what type of symptoms you just have to live with and tolerate.

Thanks again

• Posted

Defo David, Personally I think trying all the lifestyle changes you can make yourself with diet etc can only help to either bring the disease under control or prolong the inevitable in some cases.

Hope you get on ok with your Colonoscopy and everything works out ok for you.

Take Care. X You know where to find us all if you need any further advice.

• Posted

Thank you so much,

This site is very helpful and comforting.

• Posted

I'll echo that jane.  We are always here to help x
    • Posted

Defo Angi.....we just bounce off one another! Ive had more help from this group than any Doctor or Consultant! Not taking anything away from the professionals, thank God for them being there when we need them! But you know what I mean! Lol!
  • Posted

Hello david, one thing we Divi sufferers are NOT, and that is normal

Strongly recommend you nip to H&B and get the Acidophilis with Pectin and take

one morning, one evening Chew  food until you get jaw ache ,seriously though

chew well, and slowly  MUSH is good cool

Try a paracetamol, that will help if you get a twinge. and don't stress ,not

good . your colon knows if you do ,and gets uptight with you rolleyes

Lots of knowalls on this forum, so you will be well taken care of.  

• Posted

Thank you for the advice, that's why I'm here on this forum.It's almost impossible to get straight talk from med sites, just generalities.
    • Posted

Hello David , have You been to H&B yet ?????? Sooner you stare taking them the sooner you will start to feel better TRUST me I'M NOT a doctor

Have a look at the DIVI DINERS forum , shed loads of food advice

• Posted

I have found the same, that it never totally goes away.   Last year I suffered for about 8 months and had several courses of antibiotics so that in the end I think the antibiotics were causing as many problems as dv.  Am now taking  probiotic complex (from Amazon, highly recommended) and am at last feeling better with just an occasional twinge to remind  me it is there.
    • Posted

Since my flare up last month, I started using a probiotic and utilizing a Nutritional bullet, to finely process some vegetables and fruits to treat inflamation and aid in digestion. The thought is to get the key nutients to my intestines to abdorb so my system doesn't have to work so hard.

This also gets fiber in , without it fermenting in your gut causing gas pressure pain and also aid in bowel movement.

This has helped quite a bit and has returned BM's to normal without straining.

I still get little aches of discomfort, mostly when I'm sitting or driving in the car but not bad. Does anybody take a pain reliever daily for normal pain and discomfort management, if so, what works best?

• Posted

Hi David, I would be interested in knowing what exactly you put in your drinks? I have been trying a few in my juicer but dont know what to avoid and what would be tolerable. For pain relief I just take paracetamol and tramadol. Avoid all codeine based pills and also avoid brufen.
    • Posted

I did some online research for nutra bullet recipies for inflamation and digestion. I found a lot of suggestions, but you will have to do some experimenting to see what combination your system will tolerate.

I start out with a handfull of kale, mango, papaya,flax seed powder, honey, carrot juice, water. Best served chiiled.

• Posted

Thanks David. I will have a look. Tried juicing some stuff last week but it had similar flare up symptoms, so think as you say, it would be trial and error for me again and i do get very wary now and scared to try alot of things. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Another ingredient that I forgot to mention is a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger root, you may consider a teaspoon of tumeric too.WheN you do choose a juice to mix with it, avoid acidic types.
    • Posted

Thanks David, I know about the benefits of ginger and turmeric, just need to experiment more I think with juicing and learning what to avoid etc. But thanks again. X
    • Posted

Since my 1st flare up at the beginning of last month when the symptoms I had were cramping in multiple areas on my left side and back, constipation mostly then some diarrhea. Once I went on a liquid diet and cut out fiber, within a week or two things settled down quite a bit. Slowly adding fiber back, lots of water and liquids.

The only thing I'm getting now is occasional mild pain at the midpoint of my left side, normally while sitting but occasionally while standing. Is this something others have experienced, even 6 weeks after the flare up?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.