What to expect when I have my surgery date?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wondering after I have my set date for my THR what should I expect?? Do I need an mri or more X-rays?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

After my date was set Mayo clinic required xrays, ct scans, blood work, Urine test, medical clearance, and a pt assesment.  Good luck to you!
  • Posted

On my pre op assessment they did a up to date x Ray for the surgeon, I had both my ops in spire hospital and also had another one done after the op, they did ecg, blood tests at pre op too, hope you don't wait too xx
  • Posted

Hi Snow, 

I had pre-op first - blood-/urine-/ecg - medication evaluation, talk with anesthesist, admitting office, post-op arrangements, incl. physical therapy - 

after this, I received surgery date and with 2nd THR I actually got a date right then and there ...

On day of surgery, another blood test -

I am in Holland and had surgery at regional hospital -

Not sure if this was helpful 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

see my website - I have PM'd you the link - sections on each stage, and my blog of my operations and recoveries.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Morning Snowgirl79

If you are in the UK, one of the "biggie" is the MRSA test. They take a swab from your mouth to check if you have MRSA.. If so, your op will be delayed until it has been dealt with.

There will be the usual ECG,blood and urine tests along with a general health questionaire (in past illnesses, alergies etc) as well as a more detailed one (false teeth piercing etc).

Post op:- I was told that if I had had good "core" strength it would have helped with your recovery and ability to move after the operation. So I would work on sit-ups and such before the op. I know my lack of core strength hindered my ability to lift my leg without a cooperative, operated leg.

Graham - is this worth mentioning on your site?  

Michael 

• Posted

Hiya, i had a pre assessment in two parts, first  part was blood pressure, blood test ecg, questions on my health, was weighed and measured. Then Second part two weeks later,  the operation was explained before and after treatments, then the physio explained the treatment then x ray. Then two weeks later, had operation 

suexx

• Posted

Thank you so much sue!! Made the first step today and called to tell them I'm getting the surgery!! Now I have to wait till they call back with my appointment date ..😁
  • Posted

Hi, snowgirl

just wishing you the best of luck. I got my appointment a few weeks back. The surgeon then hurt himself and now I am waiting another 2 1/2 wks more . Now booked in for the 22 March.  

• Posted

Oh?? That's a little disappointing...best wishes for your surgery!!

And thanks

• Posted

I had MRI and X-rays prior to first consultation with surgeon after being referred by docs.There he said there's nothing more than can be done until you decide it's bad enough for THR. When I came to that decision after a few months and went back for another consultation with in October 2015 he sent me for a standing up X-ray (results immediately). We then mutually decided the date of 26th Jan. He wanted to do it sooner but I had loads of holidays planned.

Then I didn't see him again until Jan 26th. Had Pre-op on Jan 18th where they took all the tests. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.