Aides and heights

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well finally my DH has been given an appointment back to his hip surgeon, a year after being refered to Vasular Surgeon and after 3 years of struggling to get this far!

He was told last year he needed the new hip and goodness knows how long before he will get the op!

B

But thinking ahead ( I do this all the time ) and I know you can not name goods etc, what are the must haves and at what height does beds, seats etc need to be please!

I have read mention of a pillow too, but which one is best!

His appointment is 2nd of March and can not come soon enough, found him very upset when I got in last night as it is really getting him down!

Not helped by me probably, as after buying a mobility scooter we can no longer use it, due to my health problems meaning I can't lift at the moment, my appoinment is 29th Feb and pretty sure if surgery goes ahead, I will have a six week of not being able to do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

However he must come first so the waiting time for his op will be crucial as to what happens!

This is not how we thought our retirement would pan out, but then who does!

Thanks for any advice you can give

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Regarding heights, I would measure things in relation to your knee height. Generally speaking, post op, you  hips should be higher than your knees. 

Michael

• Posted

Thanks Michael,

i am dim thinking well your hips are always higher than your knees! But just sat on the settee and now get it! 

• Posted

Hi Carol, 

goodness, you have been waiting for quite a while ... 

I got most of my information from the booklet given to me  on visit with ortho surgeon - I understand that in the U.K. an Occupational Therapist will come to your house to advise you what you need and how high for instance your bed, sofa, chair and toilet seat need to be -  

A lot of other tips regarding aids you can find on a web page made by one of our dear hippy fellows here on the forum - 

(I hope it is still okay to put the link here, Alan I could not find it any other way )

www. thr. org. uk     (without spaces)

and of course,you can come back here with any questions or concerns you might have any time ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

yes it has been a really long time, just hoping the waiting time is not to long, poor dh is getting really down.

Alan has done a great job that is so informative.

does the occupational therapist come out to everyone? 

• Posted

redface oops .... The web master is Graham, a.k.a Rocketman --- Alan is our forum moderator and doesn't like it if we post links ... it is one of the rules and regulations ....

I don't know about the O.T. coming out to everyone Carol .... I read it in many posts from UK Hippies .... I didn't have one come to my house - 

I needed home health care post-op (I live alone) and one of the nurses came out to have a look at my abode and checked height of bed and chair - 

• Posted

Hi Renee,

There is no problem with links generally but they will go for moderation. We just cannot allow repeated posting of the same "hot" links so the way you posted is fine or you can use below. 

Graham's site is in the list of resources here

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

and it is on his profile here

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

You can post either of those links without moderation. 

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan, 

Thank you ... for some reason I thought it was easier to find -

like from this page : Related Information - Hip joint replacements  -

this will work !

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Alan, i'll make a note of those links as they are easier for non expert computer users to use.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Carol, the height is important. If you think of sitting on a dining chair with your feet flat on the floor, the idea is that you should be able to rise straight up without throwing your body forward to propel you upwards. This is called the 90 degree rule, so no bending over to tie your shoe laces etc!

If you are in the UK you will have some sort of assessment for equipment and what you get depends on your area. Mine supplied risers for a dining chair and the bed, a toilet riser and frame, a bath board and a grabber.

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. I really hope you get everything sorted.

You'll find loads of helpful and supportive people on this forum and above all it is a brilliant place just to vent!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.