Those little extras

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have just been sorting my bag for Friday (number 2 hip) and found all my kit from the last one six months ago. At the bottom I found 6 lengths of leather cord and sat there puzzled until I remembered that I put then through the zips of my shoes and boots and knotted a loop so that I could hook my grabber through them and pull up my zips!

Aha!

I also found my leg 'whoopie' - a 12 inch piece of quilted fabric with hand loops at either end - I used it to lift my leg off the sofa (I had no risers for the sofa so had to improvise).

I wonder how many inventions or ideas people had to overcome problems at home and during recovery - maybe Graham could get to work on a new section!

Oh and just found my grabber and it has sticky velcro on it to fix it to my crutches!

4 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate

Its amazing isnt how we improvise to make our lives easier.

In the early days of my recoveries I set up all the things I would need around my chair. I remember another hippie I think it was Dawndee who called it her nest (!). So I had my ipad, chargers already plugged in to an extension reel, tv remote controls, a messenger bag with my pills and phone etc etc. A simple carrier bag for my lunch box and flask of tea etc I didnt have anything as clever as velcro (great idea) I just used string to hang my grabber on my crutches but I did buy a spare grabber for upstairs which was especially useful when youve started to ditch the crutches.

I agree that would be great if Graham could add a new section.

So best of luck for Friday, you will soon be pain free.

Linnet x

• Posted

I think when the OH nurse explained that I would have to have everythng to hand I had no idea, at first, how important that was going to be. Dawndee is right, it does become your nest and your whole world shrinks to a chair sized space.

I dreaded having to dash for the loo and can remember wondering if you could fit a catheter yourself - must have been a bit high on pain killers!

I have a spare grabber as well - it's an industrial one, longer than the standard, think it must be used for picking up rubbish. My partner 'found' it at work redface

• Posted

Hey Kate!

good luck with Number 2....

maybe wile away the hours in hospital bed with the leather cord - plaiting it into a hair bandanna?!

fingers crossed all well

mic

x

• Posted

Thanks, Mic, I have packed up my hospital anti-boredom kit today. Last time I was making Cornish fairies and all the nurses bought them!
  • Posted

A sock aid was very helpful and I just used elastic shoelaces so I could just slip my shoes on.

Don't forget a plastic bag for the car seat when you go home. It will help you to get in and out of the car easily so you don't have to twist and turn too much.

Since I live alone, I used a cell phone holder around my neck at all times. It was just in case that I had fallen I would've had a phone right there to call for help. I found them on ebay.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

I couldn't get on with the sock thing last time. It was summer so I wasn't too bothered

The plastic bag is such a good idea - I don't think anyone understands just how difficult some things are. And how you managed on your own, Miele, full respect. My partner took a week off last time and will do the same this time. He spent most of the time laughing at me! 

• Posted

6 lengths of leather chord Kate? As an author I guess you missed out on another use that ELJames took advantage of cheesygrin he he
    • Posted

Ahhhahahaha! I don't write those kind of books, Colin!!! Maybe I should, my royalties probably buy me a loaf of bread a month frown

• Posted

I'd be pleased to add anything to mywebsite that anyone adds here.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Might be an idea, Graham, your site is so useful. A section on 'home helps' would be great.

Btw - you need to roll out your web page. I wish I'd had access to it because it is human and cuts through the clinical info you get.

• Posted

Thanks for that Kate,

It's so difficult these days, there is so much information going through these pages, I need to capture it as I see it.  I have a huge backlog of ideas to get through, then it will need sorting out to make sure everything is in the right place, and then I have to get the web publishing tool and convert it all.

And then there's getting my daily exercises in too .........

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Just a thought....

...how about a small rubber ring (as used by small children learning to swim) to sit on top of the toilet seat raiser. It will help with the height and comfort.

Just thinking about the early days when constipation is a feature. 

Michael 

(known to be a little left field)

• Posted

I'm carefully taking notes here.  I have bought myself a mobility trolley for all my bits and pieces so I can hopefully trundle them from room to room.  I bought a toilet seat raiser because although I'm pre-op the loo is too low for me.  It's blooming uncomfortable so I love the childs' rubber ring idea.  The plug extension is also a great idea.

Keep them coming folks. I will be managing alone so all tips gratefully received.

cheesygrin  

• Posted

Hi Graham,

Yes, your website is on my favourites bar and I have set my son to the task of making one of those box structures for raising my recliner chair.  Loads of informative stuff on there.  I am gradually collecting 'bits'.  I know the o/t dept will loan me stuff but because I'm on my own I want everything prepared and in place before i go in so I can relax knowing everything is set up and ready for when I come home,  i have been told my op will be about March, but am currently awaiting an appointment for my pre op assessment.

Cels x

• Posted

Make sure he makes it strong - it takes quite a bit of strain.  

I never envisaged using mine for so long - it was supposed to be'retired' a few weeks ago, but is still in use due to my second operation.

It's good to be prepared, gives you the confidence you will be able to recover better.

Graham

• Posted

Indeed!  He's a carpenter although hasn't 'carpentered' for many years since the bottom fell out the building trade, but hopefully he can come up with something serviceably strong.  I have left the 'box' idea with him and we'll see what he comes up with.  He has booked a cruise for March and is quite upset that he might be away when I have my op, but what with the doctors' strikes and the fact that the NHS are never on time, he'll probably back before it happens anyway although the sooner the better for me.

A possible tip for those suffering from constipation due to the cocktails of drugs - I have diverticular disease and am permanently constipated redface

Psyllium husk powder from Holland and Barrett is fabulous and perfectly natural.  It's called Regucol.  Two teaspoonsful twice a day in a glass of water (or juice) followed by another glass of water does the trick for me, even with the codeine I am taking.  It's a weird texture but tasteless and not unpleasant.  I find it better than anything the GP has prescribed.

Cels x

• Posted

Thanks Cels - you're a gem.

I do, and have, suffered for ages, being on a diet of codeine.

I have been concerned that it could be a bigger problem after my op with lack of movement thrown in.

Movicol has ceased to move me and I have been looking for other solutions.

My partner calls the movicol my 'poo powder' and at the chemist the other day I asked for exactly that - oops.

• Posted

I've been on Movicol, Senna, Lactulose, Fibogel and even had to go in for those awful Fleet enemas.  Ugh!  I've been taking Regucol for over a year now and problem sorted - naturally.  My GP is aware and more than happy for me to use it.  You can get it in capsule form but I haven't found those very effective for me.  I stock up when Holland and Barrett have their penny sales.  You can get it from Amazon but have found it gritty and not so pleasant to take.  Google psyllium husk and have a read.

Cels x 

• Posted

I have been having coarse museli and something called 'Bran Fibre' from the same store (H&B), it's produced in Biggleswade by a well known cerial maker. It really is just the outside of the grain, so really high in fibre, that used to be given to the animals.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi All

Found Beta vivo from Holland and Barrett in UK excellent.. fits ne up but fibre and no call.. so good for weight loss.

Mic

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.