Hip brace update

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

just a quick post to let those interested know. The person who fitted my brace has admitted that they fitted it incorrectly. It is now fitted the correct way and is fully functional. I was supposed to wear it for 6 weeks after my op. But as 3 weeks has already gone past without wearing it I am waiting to hear back from my surgeon to see if that is still the case or I only have 3 weeks of wearing it left. 

Hope we all are well

Hailea X 

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm glad it's going well now. However, I admit to curiousity. Can you sit down in one of those things, for example, to pee? I saw them online before my op and wondered. I mean the plaster things. Not sure what you have...
    • Posted

Hi Belle

mine is custom made from the USA. It is made of foam and hard plastic with an adjustable metal bar on the outside  of the leg. 

• Posted

Hi Hailea we are so pleased things are at last improving for you. Keep it up.

All the best a big hug from Derek and Hazel

• Posted

Hi Derek & Hazel

Thank you so am I it has been a very long road. Just got to wait for my 6 week check up and an X Ray to see if I need to wear this thing any longer than another 3 weeks. I am hoping not but if I do then so be it. I would sooner it all heal the right way than for something to go wrong. That is for sure. 

• Posted

Hailea , hope you smacked the person hard with your crutch.

glad its now fitted correctly,  fingers crossed only 3 weeks to go.

suexx

• Posted

Hi Sue

oh do not worry that hospital is in for one hell of a shock. More so the ward I was on. I am writing to the hospitals CEO and also will be seeking legal advice. I can't fault my surgeon or his team in any way but my care this time has been far worse than I ever thought it could ever get. I am determined to get things changed on that ward. You can put a bet on that one. No one should be treated or cared for the way I was on that ward. My first stay for my first hip was never like that and I am really angry. 

• Posted

Hello dear hailea, 

Wow, that is great !  3 weeks later huh .... How does it feel ? Do you get any support from it?  Do you take it off when you go to bed? 

Hpw are you doing otherwise/  Hopefully the pain has subsided, maybe even gone ... I do hope so ... 

How are the doggies?  I bet they are great and missed you ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

well I am hoping for only 3 weeks I lost 2 weeks while waiting for the thing to be made. Then another week because I couldn't wear it because it had been fitted wrong. 

It it all comes down to the X Ray at my 6 week check. That will happen two weeks tomorrow ( Thursday ). 

It it is quite heavy and cumbersome to be honest. I wouldn't say it is uncomfortable. But like the TED stockings I wish I didn't have to wear it but I am coping. 

It it is not support that it is meant to give you. Just making your leg stay in one position so when you walk you have no chance of your leg crossing the other one. I need to heal and strengthen the muscles and the only way to do that is walk till I can get to phiysio. 

No no the thing has to stay on all day and all night except for a 1 hour break each day to clean it so it doesn't make me sore. 

I I am ok although I wasn't in too much pain until I had to start moving again once this brace was sorted out. The pain has come back with vengeance now because I havnt been able to mobilise. So I am back on oramorph every 2 hours and co codamol every 6 hours but at least I am off all those other nasty meds that never helped with the pain before the op. in the end any way.  I know I have to take it slow I can't risk dislocating this hip. It is so frustrating that this one did not go as well as the first one. But I know no matter how long it takes I will get my life back. It is just going to take longer. I thought the pain would be less by now. It was till I started having to walk after being on 3 weeks bed rest. Even what is supposed to be my better leg is complaining at the moment. 

Dogs ts are all fine thank you. They didn't leave my side for a whole week after I came home. They are better now and I can move without them walking at my side everywhere. I am glad I have them. One of them is really keyed into if anything is wrong so I know if I had an infection or anything wrong with the wound he would let me know. But all is good. I had the wound check while at the hospital yesterday too. It seems to be taking longer to heal after having staples instead of stitches. I will be making sure they won't use staples on me again if I can get away with it the wound is more painful than the last time.  Will be getting 2 new puppies soon. That is my incentive to get better as soon as my body will let me. 

Thank you for asking Renee

Hailea x

• Posted

Hi Hailea,

I am so pleased to hear some positive news from you! I am having my second hip on Friday and have been reading your progress and praying that I don't go through the same thing!!!!!

Let's hope that this is the last hiccup and you can get on with your recovery now.

Btw, a few years ago, I had to make a complaint against a local hospital. At the time I was recovering from a big op and felt awful about 'making a fuss'. I was told that by making an official complaint I would be helping others coming along behind me so I pursued it all the way.

Kate x

• Posted

Hi Kate

Good luck for For Friday. I don't think anyone could go through all I have been through this time. I just don't think it would be possible unless they ended up at the same hospital. Same ward. Same staff. 

I I really don't think much more could go wrong than it already has to be honest. 

The reason you have given for making your complaint is the very same reason I will be making my complaint. I would hate to think an elderly lady or man who would be on that ward who would feel that they could not speak up would end up in the same situation. Things will only change for the better if things are pointed out. As I have said before I hate doing things like this. But if I don't who else will make things better for others ?  This is the only way things will change. 

Please post and and let us all know how your op goes. 

Hailea x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.