15 days post THR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys,

2 weeks 1 day post THR and recovery has been steady and slow. Had a few good days, where pain is eased and moving around has been easier.

Kids have kept my spirits up and also very busy! My 10 month old boy, who is usually a mummys boy all of a sudden started crying for his dad every time he leaves the room! Not loyal at all ha! Think he knows i can't look after him like before so has not attatched himself to my husband. Feeling slightly left out here. My 2 year old is great, he looks at me and goes awww Mummy, are you getting better? You ok there? Makes my heart melt! Looking forward to getting better and back to normal. First think on my list is to walk to the park.

I'm also like alot of you suffering with severe back pain during the night. Driving me crazy to be honest. I fall asleep exhausted from the day, last about 2 hours then im up throughout the night. I can turn onto my non operated side for a few minutes to take the pressure off my back, then my hip starts to hurt. I have tried putting pillows under my legs and behind my back and it doesn't really help. Thinking of taking my sun lounger up and sleeping on that to see if it helps.

Today i have started getting terrible pains in what i think is the new hip joint. It is a sort of jolting pain that comes and goes. It has been constant all morning and the hip hurts when im walking too. Anyone else had this? Start physio tomorrow so going to mention it then and see what they say.

Hope everyone else recovering well. X

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coleen

You sound like you have really got your hands full with two little ones to look after but they are such a joy. I really missed seeing grandchildren when I was recovering from my op.  Im glad you are going to physio tomorrow as it will be good to raise all your concerns. If I were you I would make a list of any questions you have as its so easy to forget something.

You are obviously a lot younger than me 😀 and Im not sure what your consultant advised you about sleeping on your side but I was told not to start until about 6 weeks and to start on my operated side.

We do get all sorts of aches and pains during our recovery which at times seem quite scary thats why its so great to have this forum to talk things through.

So have a word with the physio tomorrow and also why not ring your consultant just to check.

Best wishes for your recovery

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi Colleen , 

Awww .. poor you, feeling left out ... you are probably right - you can not take care of him like before operation - but how sweet of your 2 year old ... 

As for sleeping on your unoperated side - there is some pulling when the leg flops over - I put a thick pillow between my knees - while doing that, the lifting of knee and put in position it is not comfortable - but once it is paralel wit matress it is fine - not sure if this makes sense - 

I am not sure about the pain in your back -

I remember around 2-4 weeks post-op  from my 1st THR I also had this pain in what I thought was my hip joint - seriously thought something bad had happenend - shifted or something - 

Well, it was not - apparently there is this big butt muscle that I started to use again - walking and exercising etc (moderately) - not using walker all the time but started furniture surfing - sooooo wrong !

Are you walking with aid like a crutch ? going without will be hard on the body because you are so out of balance - 

go slow darling - make sure your posture is straight - your back muscles need to be stretched a little - 

Good that you are starting PT tomorrow - have them look at the way you move/walk, stand , how you do your exercises (I was doing them incorrect at first)

Take it easy and be gentle with your self -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

You are doing a brilliant job Colleen, managing babies and little tots and you sound so happy in your post. Well done you! As every day passes it will get so much easier during the night, you are definitely through the worst. Your baby senses you are out of bounds, which is actually very perceptive and helpful. My girls were the same, but as soon as I was better they have been all over me like a rash and take such delight in my recovery....it feels like a family recovery of sorts, as we have all been through it really.

I did have little jolts too, and in my case it was usually when I was doing too much, because when I sat down they would go, and when I rested for longer they would go completely. I don't get them now at all but did in the early days.

Have a long rest and see if that does the trick? If it does, then you know it is doing too much....you need lots and lots of rest at two weeks.....I know, certainly not easy at all with little ones, but you have to put your recovery first so you can get properly better.

Definitely speak to your physio and your consultant if you are at all worried. Are you raising your leg often? 

I think you are doing amazingly well, really I do, and I hope the jolting pain eases. Will you let us know how you get on..

• Posted

Glad you are recovering ok and that you take joy in your very young children!

I echo Rose in that I hope you are resting as much as possible. Two weeks is so early! I never had back pain in the night. I was unable to sleep on my back, and slept sitting up for the first 6 weeks, propped by pillows. Perhaps that sun lounger might be good for you. As for the terrible jolting pains around your hip joint, I wonder if your pain medication is adequate. You might want to check that with your surgeon rather than just a physical therapist. I don't remember ever having those, although I know all recoveries are different. I had full opioid pain meds, round the clock, for the first 4 weeks, then tapered off to non-opioids during the 5th week. Didn't have much pain at all, just lots of stiffness/heaviness and some achy pain in the thigh.

Please take it very easy with the PT, and don't do anything that hurts you more. These first weeks are very important for recovery, and the first few weeks don't require that you do much at all except rest!

• Posted

Hi Coleen

Sounds as though you had yours done at the same time as me ! I have had agonizing back pain too and rang consultant who is seeing me on Thursday, also had a review of my pain meds with gp. I have been sleeping on my side for over a week using a slumber cushion . Today I didn't make myself get dressed and stayed in my pajamas all day . I had a sleep in the afternoon and feel a bit better now.Try and get enough rest, your body has been through a major operation X

• Posted

Hi Nikki

Glad you've got an appointment with your consultant on Thursday. It really doesnt matter that you were still in your pyjamas today, as we are always saying on this forum be kind to yourself. You are doing absolutely the right thing having plenty of rest. 

Let us know how you get on 

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi Nikki

Glad you've got an appointment with your consultant on Thursday. It really doesnt matter that you were still in your pyjamas today, as we are always saying on this forum be kind to yourself. You are doing absolutely the right thing having plenty of rest. 

Let us know how you get on 

Linnet x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.