DAYWALKERS UPDATE

Posted , 8 users are following.

Afternoon guys, i went back to the hospital yesterday to see the nurse that took my staples out all 38 of them. This is my 3rd week at home now, i had my op a month ago today. At this time a month ago i was on that table. The nurse looked at it cleaned it, she pinched around the  1 tiny hole from my staple where i i have been leaking from and nothing  came out of it,  she put and Iodine patch on me and a gauze over that and covering which is not waterproof, so no shower. I rung yesterday and the swab they took last week came back as an infection hence being Infection. My surgeon put me on FLUCLOXACILLIN  a week tomorrow. After all the staple were out my scar and all the scars from the Staples looked great. At that time i had 7 days with no covering on it. Then one moring i stook up and it started leaking down my leg. My bottom cheek smarts when i sit in the chiar downstairs, i have raised blocks under the feet as per instructions from the Physio dept. I would imagine the infecton has gone now, i asked the nurse to take another swab but she felt it was not needed as i was already on Antibiotics. I am seeing my Surgeon tom at 5pm will keep you all infomed, if you guys want to follow me on facebook just let me know, lots of love for now Daywalker x

5 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Like Rose, I am not on FB, and for the same reason .....

That was an awful lot of staples - I am sure that I had nowhere near as many as that.  Lets hope the antibiotics have worked.  I'll keep following you here.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi daywalker , 

You must feel relieved that those staples are removed ... that is a lot -

Not sure if I understand it correctly, you had NO coverage on your scar for 7 days and took showers? 

That sounds uncomfortable to me, especially when you are stapled !!!  

Good luck at your surgeon's office today ... I am sure he has good news !

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Renee hi, the Staples came out on 22 and the 25th Jan they took them out in 2 parts because i had 38 of them. Once the staples are out they do not need covering anymore.  No staples which meant i could have showers and no dressing on. But as you guys know i have been having leakage from one of the staple scars. I went back on Monday as the Nurse wanted to see me and i wanted to see the Nurse that took my staples out because she knows my scar lol. The nurse told me that it did not look that bad, but to me it did, i guess they see all sorts. The nurse put a square patch of iodine and some gauze and then a dressing that was not waterproof. I just can't believe i got an infection, this does happen at times as the nurse told me. I am seeing my Consultant today at 5pm will post tonight. I just hope i do not have to go back in, The nurse told me on Monday not to change this dressing and i have not, get hubs to check it, it does not seem to be any worse, ie nothing running down my leg. Lets hope and hand and fingers and toes crossed guys for me love Daywalker x
  • Posted

GOOD LUCK TODAY!

Thinking of you

• Posted

Hi fellow hipsters, i saw my Surgeon. The nurse took the dressing off the other nurse put on, on Monday. My Surgeon came in and had a look, he then wanted to clean it himself i am honoured i thought, he cleaned it then he got one of those long cotton buds and put the litle soft end into the small wound to see the depth not too far he mentioned which was good news then some crap came not dripping out but it is what was just inside he then got a big empty syringe and put Saline  right in the tiny wound where the one side of the metal clip was it did not hurt as the area is still numb from surgery  weeks ago.  My surgeon has put me on yet another lot of Antibiotics 3rd lot. He wants me to  go back on Monday night  to see him and he would expect it to have dried and closed up by then,  if not i have to go back on Tuesday for an overnight stay and he is going to open the wound up it wont be along incision and clean it all out and then suture it up, not clips. The only thing is i will be out, not long on the table though this time. One other thing how long did you guys have to sit on the big white toiled seat addition, i think it is 12 weeks i am guessing, which i really don't mind i would be so lost without it, as we all would. I have been reading on here that so many dislocate though so many people take care, I was not going to have the ceramic bull and cup in my body they squeak i have been told, Night you guys and thanks so much for your concern x
    • Posted

Great news that the surgeon is taking it so seriously. We often feel that we are not heard.

I am convinved that I will be buying a toilet seat riser when this goes back - it is such a boon. 

I was told that ceramics can squeek in about 15% of cases. I was only told after the fact though.

Michael x

• Posted

Hi Michael,

That's an interesting statement about your riser going back. None of my aides, crutches, toilet riser, grab stick and shoe horn, are being returned. It was part of my discharge pack that the the hospital does not accept returns. So wasteful really. I will see if any charity shops will accept them.

• Posted

My surgery was done privately, hence paying for everything i guess. We had to pay for all my Aids, I did not even think that any hospital would take a Toilet Seat Aid back, i have been back 5 times now, including this Monday 6. 
    • Posted

Hi Daywalker. 

Glad to hear from you, and you sound a little bit more chirpy and happier which is good. I am glad your surgeon is taking good care of you, and it sounds reassuring, I will be watching this space and hope the antibiotics do the job before Monday. We need full closure on that wound! Anyway you are being a complete trooper ~ and hope over the weekend you manage to shift the infection. Big hugs x

• Posted

Michael tell me abit about your story. What is a Boon?. Before my surgery i looked into everything, i am not sure if it is because i am an Holistic Therapist many years ago, but alas no more had to give it all up because my body has had it as they say.  My mind works that way have to delve into everything. I just can't believe how many people have had problems with it coming out of place, just chewing and cracking my tooth on a sweet sounded terrible in my mouth, the thought of anything popping out from my surgery makes me feel ill. Take care. If you need to talk you know where i am.
    • Posted

Morning

Really straight forward, I am afraid. But a "boon" is something of benefit or a blessing; sometimes referred to as a Godsend. 

I have a pair of incomplete socket in my pelvis which will mean that I will eventually have to have both hips done. But I had bone on bone OA for quite a while. Looking back, it started in my 20s. But it was not until last year that I got so fed up with it that I sought advice from my GP. I had thought it was soft tissue problems. I was fast tracked to have a THR.  My surgeon was FANTASTIC and gave me a gold standard treatment. All dissolvable stiches and everything has been text book. And I am so grateful!! I must also acknowledge my wife who has been on my back regarding the exercises. Without her ‘encouragement’ I am sure I may have slacked a lot.

I am now 3 weeks post op and looking forward to the rest of my life. This forum is my addiction - it is so easy to use - and also send private messages. Thankfully so, as it helped Rocketman and I agree on motorcycling rather than boring everyone else too.

Please keep in touch. x

• Posted

So pleased for you, I have OA in both, i kept getting this pinching in my groin i had the Cortizone injections first to see how i got on had 2 of them in my right groin, then the Hip surgery, but as you i have a staple hole leak. I think i will have to go back in, but wil know by Monday. I have had my walking sticks for 6 years, i had back surgery 6 years ago, for Arthritis but the fusion never took, i have OA in both knees and in my toes, never ends does it. Your wife sound very supportive just like my hubs x
    • Posted

Partners are an essential element of recovery. 

Crumbs, you sound like you have been delt a full deck of ailments. It is a good thing that you are being listened to and cared for. The staple hole leak sounds most concerning and urgent. Hope it gets addressed next week. x

• Posted

Sounds like your surgeon has things under control and is watching your surgical site carefully. Good! May it get better and better.
  • Posted

Hi guys i am going back into Hospital saw my Surgeon tonight, told him that the tiny staple hole wound is still leaking yes less than it was, so he is getting me in as an Emergency tomorrow, it will be an evening surgery for me, people are in front of me rightly so, but they have to find me a theatre tom or Wed, I feel badly for the surgeon they must hate having a patient back on the table. He is going to open me up not sure  how long the incision will be and clean me out, and Suture me up, Tears just came down my face after i saw him and i had to go and see the nurse to get my dressing changed.  The swab test i had a couple of weeks ago came back as a Staph infection i am as you guys knwo on my 3rd lot of Flucloxacillin. I have wored so hard with my recovery sleepng on my back for almost 6 weeks which is so hard, as i have Arthritis in my back. Until he opens me up and takes a look i will not know what i am waking up to, will speak to you guys later in the week. I am so drained 
    • Posted

I know that is so disappointing for you. Going to the hospital to be opened up AGAIN! Take care, Daywalker, will look forward to hearing from you after the surgery.
    • Posted

Oh, you poor thing. On th epositive side, you are embarking on a road which is going in the right direction. will be thinking of you.

Michael x

• Posted

Oh my dear, I know just what you are going through - I am now well into my second recovery in three and a half months.  Hopefully he won't have to make such a long incision this time, and not get through all the muscles to the bone again.

We'll all be here thinking about you, and hoping for the best outcome.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.