Can Acid Reflux Feel Like A Heart Attack?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, a couple of times during this week I have forgotten to take my omeprazole which protect my stomach from the many meds I am on. Last night I nearly went to a&e as I had such bad chest pain which felt like it was stabbing through my back, under/between my breasts and up into my jaw. My eyes even went gritty. This pain lasted for around to hours and caused hot sweats and very high blood pressure. Is this a common effect of forgetting just I tablet? The pain really was excruciating :-(

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Many symptoms of refluxing acid are very similar to symptoms of heart problems.

I have had so many ECGs, some on treadmills, echo grams, etc. I even have an implanted heart monitor (like a match stick under the skin that can link via special phone to the hospital computer).

But all my heart tests have come back excellent. Never found anything slightly untoward., though my father died of a heart attack when I was a young teen. (He'd had acid reflux problems all his life and probably thought it was another attack.)

So, yes, I sympathise and have experienced thse pains myself in the past - but it's still wise to play safe, just in case it is a heart attack.

• Posted

Yes I too lost my dad to heart problems. He had heart attacks and a quad bypass so it does make me worry more. I have also been having tests and have an appt in Friday for results. It also worries me that the pancreas may cause these problems as I lost my mum to pancreatic cancer!
  • Posted

I'm confused here. ;-(  How is Omeprazole protecting you from any other meds you are taking? In any case Omeprazole will just decrease the effect of other medications and might even increase blood levels if taken with other medications.   But if you ask me, missing a dose or 2 will not do that and if it does the something is really wrong.  btw, these PPI's don't actualy cure the problem, just help with the symptoms. A good nutritional diet can help way more. ;-)  Now, if stop taking Omeprazole completely the symstoms might come back with revenge but you said you missed 1 or 2 days which shoud not be severe your body reaction.
  • Posted

Hi gizmo 

omeprazole protects you from what meds  screwing up your stomach? 

Omeprazole  in my view gave me bloating nausea and panick attacks and screwed up my gut to the point of me having a angiogram because I thought I had a heart issue !

this was because this ppi stops acid production in your gut causing a slow down in breaking down food stuff in your stomach this in turn can cause a bad bacteria build up which can cause cancer in your gut .

you may need to use it as a suppressant for another side effect be aware doctors are prone to making money by causing a merrygoround of meds to profit from you !

look into what is wrong with you check out alternatives ditch meds for a while and find natural alternatives for your condition what you got to loose I did it !

I was on 6 meds a day   I now take none ! It takes time but don't be frightened to try it can't hurt more than you suffer already docs have a way to make you think you will perish without your expensive meds they SELL you. Hope this helps 

regards Trev

who manages his own Barrets acid reflux med free with carfull  dieting ! (anything in moderation) and multi vitamin B complex daily 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.