Please tell me how your non operated hip feels...

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am having a really bad day.

I have been so pleased on the whole with my recovery and have managed to get up to pre op levels (not out of choice but necessity) and looking after my little ones for weeks now on my own, but last night I had a big scare with my non operated hip.

I tried to walk up the stairs after a particularly exhausting day and evening, and found my good non operated hip completely locking up. The pain in my whole leg is really bad. much worse than my operated hip. After a whole I got up the stairs and it nearly collapsed which scared the hell out of me. I know I am doing too much, but honestly I didn't expect this, and I can't do much about it.

I can not think about needing another replacement, I am having kittens just thinking about it.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Did they go once after a while? Please tell me someone else is having this too.

My good non operated hip keeps catching, the familiar pain at the end of the day but

not too bad if I rest. It does have 'moderate' arthritis but I can't think about it too deeply.

I am too scared to get an X-ray and find out how bad it is.... you would think after one hip replacement I would be cool with a second, but I don't feel that way at all.

5 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my left hip operated in May, and my right hip and leg always aches, I think because the operated hip is so much stronger now with the titanium, the other leg is just weaker.
    • Posted

Thank you Loral, I am relieved to read your post. You are so right the operated leg is so much stronger than the other one! It is a comforting thought!! Just hope the pain goes away soon smile
  • Posted

Oh, Rose, I am so sorry. It must be quite overwhelming. 

I have been told I will need my original hip (non-operated side) will need replacing in about 10 years, but I do feel it complaining now - since the operation. I believe that it is under greater pressure during the recovery phase.

I hope and pray (for you) that it will settle over night.

Really feel for you.

Michael x  

• Posted

Thank you so much for your message. I know I am freaking out because I am really tired, pushed to my limit most days, and really desperate not to have to do it all again so soon....I know so many of us on here do... and I admire them so much. I just can not get my head around the possibility...

Ten years sounds very acceptable to me and a decade away sounds reassuring doesn't it! It is interesting you said yours is complaining too - we can hope and pray that this is all it is, and as the recovery passes so does this problem.

Thank you for such a kind reply Michael. I like to think I can do it one day just not one day too soon!!

• Posted

Dear Rose

Strangely enough I was thinking about you this morning and wondering how you were getting on. When you had xrays before and after your op did they mention your good leg and what the hip joint was like? You may be doing too much I know its easier said than done when you have young children but perhaps you need to slow down a bit. Do you think because it is still relatively early days for you that you are using your good leg more so there is more strain on it? 

Try not to worry, you might just need to slow down a bit, rest as much as possible and keep doing your strengthening exercises.

Take care 

Linnet xx

• Posted

Thank you my lovely, how are you? How is it going?

I do need to do much less - the combination of young children and a life that won't stop for anything is probably taking its toll.

I have moderate arthritis in my left hip but it has never hurt me this much before, it has always been my right hip that has caused so many problems.

Thank you for your messages of support, I appreciate them so much x

• Posted

Im fine thanks Rose, Im 17 weeks po today and retired so Im lucky I can do as much or as little as I want. It may be a very different story this time next week as I am looking after my 2 grandchildren (6 & 4) for three days next week and having our ensuite redone!! 

I think we may be spending most of the time

at my daughters house ...plus dog.

I am really looking forward to spending time with them though I used to look after them before my op, 3 times a week after school and in the hols. 😀

Is it half term next week for your children? 

Linnet x

• Posted

Please try not to worry, although I realise it is easier said than done. My non-operated side aches and hurts a lot, my calf especially but my hip and knee is also noticeable.

My non-op calf was worrying me for days so yesterday I walked a mile round trip to the GP to get it checked out (fretting about DVT). My GP was very sympathetic and told me that just over 4 weeks PO is still really early days and that my non-operated side was taking the weight and the strain. In my sensible moments, I was thinking this, but at other times was imagining far worse.

I also agree with you about the thought of a 2nd thr, it is something I think I will try to avoid at all costs. That said, and in my opinion and experience, dwelling and worrying is far worse than finding out the reality of a situation.

Thinking about you. xx

• Posted

We are the same!!! Although I didn't walk a mile to find out and would run in the opposite direction if I could!!!!

Let's just hope it is just strain and it will pass...

I have only just for my head around one replacement couldn't contemplate another at this moment in time....

• Posted

You are not alone.  I have also noticed that my non operated hip aches when I am very active.  It scares me too.  My husband tells me it's because the non operated side has been bearing the brunt.  I sure hope that's it, because I sure am not ready to go through another THR at this time.  
    • Posted

Thank you Janie for your post. I am with you completely. I feel a great sense of not wanting to do this again too soon, I guess the pain can't be that bad otherwise I would be desperate to get it done, like last time, so the fact it is not agonising is reassuring - and my husband says the same as yours. I am not completely convinced!!!
  • Posted

Hi yes this happened to me l was only getting pain from my left leg tht l had tore a ligament in it or something but it was defo only pain in left the other was fine no trouble. Then l was sent for xray and was told both my hips were bone to bone and needed replaced. I am only 42 an cld not beleive it. Burst out crying. Anyway l was booked in and had my left done in december but all of a sudden in december l started getting the severe pain in my right leg and now it worse than the pain l had in my left at first.

Good news is l had my pre op today ang get hip replaced in monday. Hopefully this will be the end to my OA pain and l can live a normal painfree life.

If i was you l would l would go back to doctors and get an xray. If it does need replaced better getting it done now instead of suffering again.

Good Luck

X

• Posted

Lors you are a super star! And so brave...and with such a positive and upbeat attitude. I can only hope if I get the same news I am just as courageous. At the moment it is looking unlikely as I can't even bring myself to get the X-ray done!!!!! :0

There is something to be said for getting it all out of the way in one swift go though! You will be back on form in no time xx

• Posted

Aww  dear Rose ...

Well darling, you know my story ... 

Are you maybe lifting too heavy things - that is so easy to do - and like you say, you know that you are doing too much and this is your body letting you know ..

It gets sooo boring to hear the same thing, isn't it ... but that is why we are here to remind each other that it is okay to slow down ( be "lazy"rolleyes) -

Sending you light and love

If it doesn;t go away Rose, bite the bullet and find out - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

A different set of thoughts happen post op when considering the next one.....and this time I am not petrified, at least, although hardly relishing the thought!! It is more logistically how on earth would I do it all again. The time it has taken to get better has really surprised me...it does take so long...so need to think how that would possibly work again. Anyway I shall bury my head in the sand for a bit longer and hope for the best!! smile
    • Posted

Yeah ... Okay ... you will know when to get the x-ray done - go easy on your self for a couple of days -  try not to lift heavy things ( e.g. your lovely babiescry)   
    • Posted

Take care not to break to 90 degree rule lol

On the poistive side you are listening to your body cheesygrin

Michael x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.