Has my pre-op assessment today

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had 3 phials of blood taken, swabs of nostril and armpit, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels.  The nurse also weighed and took height measurement.  She showed me how to get onto and off of a bed and gave me a booklet about the operation, recovery in hospital and how to sit etc.  She advised me to get a toilet riser and frame and to use a chair similar to that in which I was sat: upright, firm with arms, which we haven't got, so will see if we can find a secondhand one.  I will need to wear TEDs, unfortunately and will leave the hospital with crutches.  My op is on Monday and I'm not really looking forward to it.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Should be Had not Has smile
  • Posted

I also can't shower or have a bath until the stitches are out, eek.
  • Posted

I had mine to. 3 and a half hours it took. Had to answer questions, blood pressure, pulse, ecg, height and weight, blood taken, urine sample and mrsa swabs in nose, mouth and groin.

No talk of op really, instructions or guidence rolleyes

Best of luck, im sure it will be fine xx

• Posted

Mine only lasted 30-45 minutes and only saw the nurse.
    • Posted

I think i spent more time waiting around than anything else haha
  • Posted

If you contact occupational health they will tell you where you can get the items you need, you will be fine, where are you having your op I had mine in spire hospital Norwich, they were superb put you at ease
    • Posted

Mine is at a private hospital in Peterborough, I am a NHS patient.  I already have a grabber and sock aid.  Luckily I will not be alone when I go home, so will have help.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy

Best think of the destination: a life without hip ache.

The TEDs are actually quite warm and comforting at this time of year. I left the hosiptal on crutches and it is amazing how kind people are when they see you coming.

I have bolsetered my sofa with pillows to ensure my bum sits quite high - thus my knees are lower than my hips,

Michael

• Posted

Oh, and I had a shower before leaving the hospital - waterproof dressings and a walk-in shower is all you need.
  • Posted

Just had mine done today I had an epidural,went to theatre at 3 and back on the ward at 6.15.Feel much better having the epidural and nor the full anesthetic I did have a few little naps but the surgeons were lovely and kept talking to me.i am just begin g to get some sensation back in my feet. Good luck for Monday you will be fine. Keep us informed x
    • Posted

I gave been told not to shower for 6 weeks and I have a walk in shower.dont think I will last that long without a shower x
    • Posted

Well done Jill

Glad it went well

I came home yesterday and as i settle in i am doing alright. Moving slowly but moving without pain Yayyyy :-)

Good luck Wendy

We are all here for you and you will be fine.

See you on the otherside when you become Hippy like us.

Karen xxx

• Posted

6 weeks!! that seems a long time.  I'm glad your op has gone well, good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

Well done Karen, no pain when moving, I think that's what we all are hoping for after the op.  Good luck with your recovery, well done. x
    • Posted

So glad you are doing so well Karen.

It feels great to be pain-free. 

Good on ya ;-D

Michael x

• Posted

Thank you everyone

My leg is sore i wont lie but no pain from OA which is amazing in itself to me.

I am on crutches which arent to bad after all, i was dreading them a bit. Thanks to this forum and tips i am well prepared for recovery.

Feels great to be home thats for sure :-)

Karen xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.