i have PMR, now have Helicobactor Pylori, any advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have PMR and am on 8mg Pred.   I have just been diagnosed via endoscopy with Helicobactor Pylori and severe gastritis.  I had it before, 14 years ago, and was very ill, especially with the treatment, but I wasnt on the pred then.   Has anyone else on pred had the treatment, 2 antibiotics and a PPI and Bismuth.  I wondered how the steroids might react to it and vice versa. I would be so grateful for any advice from anyone who has experienced it or has any knowledge of it.  Thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I've had some pretty hefty AB's both IV and oral, mainly for infections and asthma problems.  I've had no problems with either together with the steroids - which were always put up to 30/40mg at the time whatever dose I was originally on.

I know that some do get some pain relief with AB's/steroids too, but that didn't happen with me.

• Posted

Thanks Nefret.  Should i put up my steroids when I go on the antibiotics.  I am on 8mg at the moment and dread having to put them up as I get very agitated and anxious on the higher doses.  Its a horrible feeling.   Iwas put on antibiotics a couple of months after I started on Pred, but at that stage I had no idea that it was such a difficult medication ! 

I am sorry to hear you have asthma, I hope it doesnt cause you too many problems.   

• Posted

Sorry, Jan I should have said that chest infections and asthma flares are often treated with steroids anyway.  They would be used for a very short time for those patients.  The fact that I was already on them made it both easier and worse at the same time.  At least I knew all about steroids, but it was much harder for me to reduce - I couldn't follow the same reduction and had to take much longer to reduce.  
    • Posted

Thanks Nefret.  I thought you meant your Pred dose had been increased because of the antibiotics !   Keep well !
  • Posted

Many patients on pred are also on a PPI and many are given antibiotics at some point. 

I can't remember what sort of abx they use so the only thing I would say is make sure you are not given a quinolone antibiotic (the drug names end in -oxacin) - there is an interaction with corticosteroids that can cause achilles tendonitis. They may try to tell you it is rare - it happens. It happened to me and I spent 9 months on crutches as a result!

• Posted

Hello Eileen.  I have been on a PPI for about 14 years, ever since I had H. pylori the first time.   The antibiotics I had to take first were Amoxillin and Metronizadole  with the PPI.  When that didnt work about a month later they put me on 2 different ones, cant remember which ones, with the PPI and Bismuth.  luckily that worked.

this time they want me to take 2 for  5 days, then straight after a different 2 for the second five days., with the PPIs and the bismuth.  He wants me to take different ones to 14 years ago as the HP might be resistant to them.

thanks for the info re the quinolones.  I will tell them.  Do you think i should increase the dose of Pred?   I hope not !

• Posted

Why? There's no reason to unless you find you develop symptoms. As Nefret said, some people find abx HELP their PMR symptoms. Always wait and see - and ask your doctor for his view.
    • Posted

i misunderstood Nefret's reply.  A combination of Pred and advancing age i think !  Am I right in thinking that the dose should go up if someone is under a lot of stress ?   I am not in pain from the PMR, just a bit fatigued at times and a little achy.  I have several other medical problems which are adding to my stress levels.  Then eating lunch today half of one of my teeth has broken off.  Luckily I have managed to get an emergency appt at my dentists for tomorrow.  Too many things all at once.  Is increased pain the only criteria for increasing the Pred dose?   In which case I am fine as I am.
    • Posted

Really, yes. A single raised ESR/CRP should never trigger an increase, it should be repeated. If it is still raised then you need to consider if there is any other reason - both will go up with infections, especially chesty colds for CRP for example. The same the other way round - symptoms with no raised blood markers could justify a small increase, especially if the discomfort is increasing rather than decreasing or being steady. 

It used to be said that the dose should be increased during stress - trauma, infection, surgery and so on. Now they prefer to watch and see - because yoyo-ing the dose isn't good either. If you feel no different than usual that is fine.

I have a tooth like that - a bit of the very back top right has fallen off but the rest of the tooth and the filling seem fine and have been for a couple of years! The local dentist suggested a half crown - but given what it cost for my husband to have a crown done here I think I'll wait as it is not bothering me, no rough edges and it is too far back to be involved in major chewing.

See this getting older business? Not impressed!

• Posted

Unfortunately my tooth is slap bang in the chewing area and I had to have two teeth at the back on the other side taken out a couple of years ago due to root canal fillings which didnt take.  I rather resented paying for the root canal fillings only to have the teeth removed a few weeks later !!  So no chewing at all today !   I am not really complaining, I love soup.

Yes, getting older sucks doesnt it !  But as someone said, its better than the alternative !   

• Posted

I don't think you would need to put up your dose of pred unless the PMR symptoms are acting up.  Just my opinion, though.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, i havent been on here for a while, its so nice to hear from what feels like old friends !   You said just what I wanted to hear.   I hope that Eileen says the same !  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.