My father and stroke

Posted , 5 users are following.

my father has recently had his 4th stroke in 1 week resulting in weakness in his left side. He is asleep constantly and only talks with his eyes closed (his left eye being affected). He has constant headache and is currently on steroids to reduce the swelling on the brain. 

He is 70, generally fit and healthy, this has come to a complete shock to me. I am trying to be strong for him but am finding this very hard as I know he is suffering. 

The doctor says this is permanent damage. I guess as this is new to me I am looking for progression? How long will it take to see a difference if any? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It does make you tired. I only had one stroke, when I was 48, but it was a massive cerebral haehorrhage/bleed on the brain.

They quite often put you on a lot of medication, which makes you even more tired. I always got the feeling, if they could have put me in a semi coma for a couple of weeks and IV fed me, they would have.

I didn't understand from your mistype, are you saying the docotr said there is permanent damage or no permanent damage?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. 

The doctor said the weakness on his left side is permenant damage so was wondering how much he can do with this problem? I can't see any progress yet as he is I always asleep. 

• Posted

I spent two months in hospital before I threatened to discharge myself if they didn't.

I really didn't get much better until I left. I lost the use of my legs (co-ordination) and partial use of my right arm. They would hardly let me walk to the toilet (only four of us in the ward, I was in an ICU ward on my own to begin with) on my own. But I started to walk around the ward and to and from the toilet, they went mad at me, I even called one of the nurses, nurse Rachted  to her face.

I eventually left able to walk with a walking stick, but that was down to me. My right arm got worse, the stroke hospital refused me physion, so I had to get my GP to get me referred back there.

I'm pretty much okay, but in answering you question, it does take time, months, almost a year in some cases. I think you'll need to give it a moth or two until after he has left, that you will see real differences.

One thing, when you have a stroke, you can be real moody, a combination of the stroke and all the medication really affects you. You can lash out and hurt those closest to you, so take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

• Posted

Right now its difficult time but with each day you'll see improvements stay positive give him your love and support and encouragement and overtime things will get better just the beginning it's always tough.
  • Posted

Hi I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I myself had a stroke at a young age I'm healthy and fit I had an operation which ended up in the stroke. From what I understand it takes a long time to recover give your dad several weeks to recover stay strong and be very supportive reach out to people that make you feel good talk to positive people I hope this is helpful.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry you experienced a stroke, it is such an unfair thing to happen to anybody. 

I am trying to stay strong but am very tearful all of the time. I pray he will be able to enjoy some kind of normality in the future. 

• Posted

I had my stroke when I was 72.  I was tired all the time.  Physical therapy helped me a lot.  I still get tired easy and rest 3 minutes after I start to get tired.  I take a nap most every day.  My left side does not work like it should and I have a lot of pain.  I went to a neurologist for the shakes I had in my left hand.  She put me on primidone and it helps with the shakes.  I was perfectly healthy when I had my stroke and it is a horrible feeling knowing it will not be the same again.. Pray a lot and hope this helps.  Judy
  • Posted

Hi Tara

Ask about having a shunt put in if he is well enough as one stroke done enough damage to me.  Ask them to check for UTI (Urinary tract  infection) and  hydrocephelus. My sisters sang to me and my Daughter always talked and included me in conversations even though I slept a lot and she used to do excercises on my hands, I never knew a thing until I had a shunt fitted after a year.  Do not give up keep singing songs he liked and talking to him.  Good luck to you and your Dad xx

• Posted

Thank you everybody for your replies it really has helped and I'm now more positive with his recovery. 

Just came back from visiting my dad and he's talking with both eyes slightly open so an improvement from yesterday. Also sitting in a rehabilitation chair which he says is helping a lot with the headaches. 

I fed him some of his puréed food and he took the spoon from me and fed himself. 

I guess I should just thank my lucky stars he's still with me. It was a shock to see a fit, healthy, still working 70 year old change basically over night but we will get there. 

Thank you once again for your support. 

• Posted

Ask him if he wants reading material. Imagine you are bed bound for several weeks, you can't even get out of the ward, your whole life is what happens in those four walls. And whilst I'm not grumbling, because I was sent there to get better, the food isn't exactly exciting, nutritious but is repetitive.
    • Posted

Yes I will ask him tomorrow. His eyes are not completely open yet and he's still very tired but I sat reading snippets out of the newspaper today. He was commenting and even helped me fill in some of the crossword. 

Thank you

• Posted

Glad Dad seemed better today Tara,

It is a long haul but keep your chin up.

Best Wishes to you and Dad xx

Win xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.