Newby - questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I love my coffee. How do you all feel about Sjogren's & coffee? I am overweight & a stress eater. I have questions, but I am just struggling today. Hard to walk, my knees are real bad. Nancy

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry! My bad knee has just wasted this winter for me tho we've only been at freezing for a few hrs maybe 5 times this season - I can't imagine having both knees in agony.

As to coffee, I don't drink much. I stopped for many yrs in order to avoid GERD meds which gave me migraines. I now have an occasional cup, but it's chicory coffees so less caffeine and acid.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi! I love my coffee. How do you all feel about Sjogren's & coffee? I am overweight & a stress eater. I have questions, but I am just struggling today. Hard to walk, my knees are real bad. Nancy
  • Posted

Hi Nancy,

Years ago when I was suffering from severe arthritis (which led on to Sjogren's 15 years later) a homeopathic rheumatologist told me that coffee wasn't a good idea. I therefore stopped drinking it except on special occasions. On his advice I also largely gave up chocolate and rhubarb. 35 years on from then, I still get intermittent flare-ups of arthritis, but nothing like that first one. These days I mainly drink tea instead of coffee.

I'm sure you realise that being overweight is putting extra stress on your knees too, though I know from experience that losing it can be easier said than done. Try and walk a little every day to keep your knee joints working, but not enough to over-strain them while they're painful.

I'm afraid you might have to look at what you're snacking on in your stress-eating binges too. An occasional treat is fine, but too much junk food won't help Sjogren's symptoms.

• Posted

Hi

I have had SS for 22 years now and i still have two coffees a day I find that diet has really helped me a very natural diet, I eat meat, vegetables, fruit, seeds nuts, soy milk or almond. I do not eat anything the sun does not grow, but i do not eat anything that is processed either. Diet maynot be a biggy when you are just starting out with SS, but trust me the more years that roll by the better it will be. I also do not eat sugar at all,  expect probably once every 6 months i will have a very small peice of something, and also gluton i stay away from that as well. My advice when you are over weight you knees are going to hurt alot more being overweight, I would say don"t worry about the coffee so much,  but more on losing weight

I too struggled with my weight up and down but the more weight you have the painful it is going to be. Best thing to do is eliminate sugar as it is in everything, sugar is no good in a person with SS as it causes inflamation, in your body and that is something i used to have a lot of especially sitting in the wall of my chest.

I would say do some swimming as no stress on the knees i knew someone that actually lost 7 stone just doing aqua jogging.

Personal trainers say about losing weight 80 percent is the food we eat and only 20 per cent is the excercise. I do feel a lot better than i have every felt I think if you keep a food diary of what you are eating, 

Alot of people eat because they emotional eatings having been there and done that myself. Now if a situation comes up I ask my self " How I felt about the situation and where did i end up going with that, ie I will give you an example, My daughter came to see me and told me that her boyfirend had cheated on her, I immediatly began eating after she left, because that had put me back in my head of when my first boyfriend cheated on me, I felt so sorry for her but then emotionally ate it away for comfort, instead ot confronting it and working it out, every time something comes up, and you start eating ask your self"Where is this taking me to" instead of using food work through the issue in your mind, or talk about it with someone else, if you had an agrument with some one, you could eat  the afternoon away, instead of actually confronting the situation, I used to do that for years so I know, food was everything to me but not anymore, take one day at a time, do not live in the past, or future live in the day, and just think all i have to do is get through this day, and that helped me too take care chrissy This is what helped me but every one is different. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.