I need suggestions on how to deal with this Frozen Shoulder in a positive way. I've been sufferi .

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I recently got diagnosed with frozen shoulder. I've been suffering for a while, kept going to the doctor, had bone density, xray,finally an mri. I was told I had tendonitis, bursitis and a couple of tears in my rotator cuff. At least that's what the primary care physician said the report said. I was referred to a orthopedics Dr. He read the MRI disc and examined me and explained frozen shoulder. I was floored to think that there's nothing that can be done for such a long time. So if anyone out there knows of anything that I can td o to help me stay some what positive, I could use some encouraging. A positive attitude will make a miserable situation easier while I put some time into the equation. Because lack of sleep, pain, and

The use of only one arm is about to push me over the edge.

Dorene

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Dorene

so sorry to hear of your painful shoulder.  All I can say is, I had a frozen shoulder in 2006 that lasted 18 months until I finally had had enough and resorted to a cortisone injection which was very painful but completely fixed it two days later. I have been told by a physio that my shoulder was probably ready to heal anyhow by that time. However, in October last year I developed an FS in my other shoulder. I was horrified! But, a new GP gave me a cortisone jab in December and another 6 weeks later. These jabs did not hurt one bit, truly. I think things have improved greatly since 2006! My shoulder is now better. I cannot believe that it has been fixed in such a short time. I have to say though that I had not been told it was a rotor cuff unjury as you have. I had an X-Ray to discount an impingement before the jabs were done. I also had some tendonopathy in my deltoid tendon (confirmed by my physio) which was healing anyhow. I do hope you find some relief from this nasty condition. My GP did say the earlier he does the jabs the better the result. I hope this info helps you. 

• Posted

Dear joy03377

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I'm thrilled your fs is greatly improved. That

would seem like a nightmare to get over one to get another. That's been a fear of mine. I've experienced some pain in the good shoulder, I just figure it's because it's over worked because it's the only workable one. I am looking forward to the second injection although I will not be allowed anymore because I have osteoporosis beginning. He did assure me eventually it would get better on it's own but the shots would get me to a place where the therapy would help. It's going to hurt to. I hesitate to bring more pain on myself. It's hard to keep this thing in perspective. In any event it helps knowing at

3:49 am in the morning someone else understands. (Reason why I can't sleep) So

thanks for that good health to you smile

• Posted

Hi Dorene

I am sorry to hear about your frozen shoulder. I am now four months into my second one, this time in my right shoulder.  The only thing that keeps my spirit positive is the fact that I know that the constant pain will go away in the next month or two. My first one played out exactly how the typical three phases of FS is described on most websites and in books. I could handle the long period of restricted movement, as it was in my left shoulder, but this time it is more difficult as I have to use my right arm all the time. The pain also seems more intense this time, but I think it is a direct result from it being on my right and having to use my right arm all the time.  In my experience, nothing really helped. A cortisone injection did nothing at all to the pain (I got it fairly early in the process), physio didn't help either, and this time, about a month ago, I even tried acupuncture, with no success whatsoever.  My advice would be to take prescribed painkillers to alleviate the pain. I even take a sleeping pill just so that I can get a decent night of sleep. It is tough as I have quite a stressful job and some days it's difficult to make it through the day. But the only thing that keeps me going is the fact that time does heal this horrible disease. Once the pain disappears, and it does go away after a few months, it is a lot better to handle.

I wish you well and want to leave you with the message that you will get better, sooner than you think. I don't think one should take drastic action too soon, although I can fully understand why people do it. The only thing that worked for me was pain medicine, giving it time to heal, patience and staying positive.

Wishing you strenght and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi FrozenZa

Your promp response is refreshing. While the

Answer is not what I was looking for, I recognized the recurring theme, patience. I am also affected by the arm/hand that is dominate, so it really is a handicap. Realizing

That this can happen to the other side, I'll have to start exercising it. So thanks for that

Bit of information. Also in this day and age I'm afraid to get hooked on pain killers like you often hear about, so I try not to take any. The NSAIDS are really hard on my stomach, plus I'm on a blood thinner. That's another one of my challenges. Besides 12 or 18 months is a long time to be on pain killers. Thanks again for your listening ear.

May you have peace.

Dorene smile

• Posted

Dorene awful situation that only fellow sufferers understand. I saw a consultant who basically said that fs is a benign self limiting condition. It goes in stages freezing frozen thawing. Usually about two to three years. I've had it twice. The first time I just had physio and suffered. The second time seemed so much worse. Cortisone had no effect. So I went down the surgery route. Brilliant, can't recommend it enough. The guy that did it, said that it gets you closer to the finishing line. He's right. I had it done on a Friday back to work on the following Monday. Followed up with a few sessions of physio. Different things for different people. I wish you the best.
    • Posted

Thanks grahame87245 for your reply on the matter. My Doctor seems to suggest surgery

as the last option. I'm not a great candidate for surgery as I have other health issues. I am concerned that you are not the only person that has gotten this more than once. I'm happy that you have had such a great out come. May you continue to have great health.

Dorene

• Posted

Glad surgery worked what kind of surgery only hear bad things about surgery

• Posted

Dorene,

I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder about six weeks ago. Doctor has me going to the physical therapist twice a week. The therapist has me doing stretching exercises 1-2 times a day (for about 30 minutes each), followed by icing the shoulder for 10 minutes. The range of motion is gradually getting better. Sometimes it's frustrating -- you don't feel like you're getting better, but the exercises do help. I can definitely tell when I go a couple of days with the exercises.

• Posted

Hello Dorene. It's so hard to accept how this awful condition can have such an impact on your whole life. I'm about 6 months into it now and it's hard to stay positive. BUT I have a little bit of good news. I read on this forum about a Tens machine and I got one last Friday. It has DEFINATELY reduced the pain. I don't know how such a tiny machine works but it has helped. I got a bit of relief almost immediately. I'm nearly afraid to believe it's working. I will let you know if it continues to help. Keep strong.
    • Posted

Hello Teresa59318,

I apologize for such a late response. I accidentally sent your response to someone else. This lack of sleep due to pain is catching up with me. I tried a Tens Unit out

of sheer desperation that was my son's.

It wasn't set for me, perhaps that's why it wasn't effective. I am going to talk to my Dr.

about trying one that he suggests. In any event, I'm sure glad you're having some relief. I'll keep you posted.

Dorene.

• Posted

Do try one Dorene. I got a loan of a tiny tens machine and it is helping. Good luck to you. This is the hardest thing I've physically had to deal with and it consumes your life. We are all here for each other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.