Anti biotics for IBS - verdict dodgy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Going on the theory that IBS is started by a bug, I recently took a course of anti-biotics, in the hopes of alleviating some of the symptoms, now I don't know if it was just co-incidence but whilst on them I had dreadful problems, far worse than usual, with "stuck halfway" and "one at a time" taken to a whole new nightmare level, and felt generally decidedly ill, maybe this doesn't alter the fact that IBS IS started by a bug but personally, from this experience, I would not advise taking them in the hopes of improving things, they ended up making them far worse, now I have stopped the course, I did obviously go right to the end, my bowels have settled down a lot and I feel okish again, don't know if this helps anyone.  Fiona

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Antibiotics can upset the natural flora that we have in our digestive tract. They can't distinguish bad bacteria from good so all is killed off. This can create a situation of imballance that can be harmful. In some people the good bacteria keeps some really bad stuff at bay by multiplying faster and taking up the food source from the bad stuff. So when this good bacteria is killed off sometimes the bad has a chance to grow out of control. Bacteria such as CDIFF that can produce spores that are protected from antibiotics thus ensuring it's survival. Then these spores can reproduce the CDIFF strain in large quantities and you get severely ill. That is why doctors try not to use broad spectrum antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. It isn't uncommon to have problems when on these medicines usually you will get the runs rather than constipation. If you get the runs after several days with a slight amount of blood and severe cramping then see your doctor right away. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Craig, I found that most informative and didn't realise fully until you explained, I am gradually on the mend thanks and won't use them again x
    • Posted

I don't mean not to use them, but they should be reserved for really tough cases of infection. I also failed to mention that the more we use them the more some bacteria strains have developed an imunity to them. We are seeing MRSA , TB, and CDIFF strains to name a few that are resistant to antibiotics. They are a useful tool, but they have there drawbacks as well. I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.