Dermoid ovarian cyst nightmare

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with what the gyno says he's sure is a benign 5cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary (Nov 15) Im on the watchful waiting I was assured that I had ca125 bloods and they came back as a 7 , so I'll be rescanned in March only 2 weeks ago I had and internal examination with my gp (abnormal brown discharge) and she said she could feel my cyst , which disheartened me as I was hoping it would be shrinking 😩 Again she did a ca125 blood test (now more recent like a week ago) which came back as a 9 ?? However the last few days my tummy feels so tight like gastrointestinal tummy pains and I get chest pains when lay down ? Do you think this a symptom of the cyst ? I'd appreciate Any advice x

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Completely new to this forum don't think I'm being seen 😏
    • Posted

Hi Natalie. I think these are all signs of your cyst. The CA 125 blood test is supposed to be normal if under 25 I've read on this website so yours are apparently ok. I'm currently having 2 cysts monitored also. It seems to be the normal way of doing things for ovarian cysts. If you are in lots of pain, bleeding or stopped bleeding on your periods you should see your GP or contact the gyne clinic you attend for advice. Hope this helps.

Β Best wishes, Pollyanna.

Β  PS, you're not invisible, it's just been weekend!

• Posted

Aww thank you for your reply I'm a bit confused as I had my ca125 blood test the day after my period ended I've read being on your period can effect the result 😧 Even though it's gone from a 7 to a 9 in 2 months the doctor doesn't seem to concerned , terrified that how I've been feeling the last few days means it may have grown ??

Will just have to wait and see with my next scan next month ... Does anyone know why we are left to to watch and wait ? I didn't think dermoid cysts can go on there own

• Posted

I don't think they can go on their own but they monitor growth anyway. It may help them decide what type of surgery to do. I'm not an expert just another patient here in the UK. If you are in US, they may do things slightly different there. See your Doc if you feel bad or more pain though.

Β Best wishes, Pollyanna. rolleyesconfused

• Posted

Aww thanks Hun yes I'm uk as well I've got my next appointment in about 3 weeks for my scan then consultant 4 weeks later unless they detect any kind of emergency x
  • Posted

Hey Natalie xx hope your ok... I also had a dermoid cyst 11x10x10cm I had it removed March 2015... It caused me a lot of pain being rushed into hospital 3 times in 4 days... My cyst was large and a dermoid with teeth and hair πŸ˜– I had a lot of torsion which was causing me the pain! I had both my cyst and ovary removed due to this rotten thing! Don't feel like your on your own babe because your not! If in doubt keep going back to your doctors and keep telling them! Xxxx
  • Posted

Thank you ladies it's reassuring to know I'm not alone , I do tend to read to much into things I've got a horrible feeling it's grown and I'm dreading the laparoscopy procedure they've spoke about as a last resort as I've never had to go under 😩

They are monitoring me every 3 months for 2 years now I think , does anybody find any homeopathy remedies help ? I've had 2 horrendous days of chest pain and tummy tightening but today I feel completely fine πŸ€” Very bizarre

This damn thing really runs you down and has brought out anxiety in me I never knew I had 😒 Xx

• Posted

Hey Natalie!

You are definatly not alone! I thought that until I saw this group online... Talking to some of the wonderful ladies on here really helped me ... I went through a lot of distress anger and then it hit me DEPRESSION! I was angry at everyone around me including those close to me because they were having babies... I felt like I had my chances of a family totally halved and I wanted to just get out of this sh*t world ...! Don't let this defeat you because I'm nearly a year post op...! I'm not 100% but I'm doing better than I was!

I also had laparoscopic surgery, I've got 3 incisions. One on my side, belly button and pubic bone (this one is about 2 inches long)! Laparoscopy surgery is better for you if you've got an active job... It helps you get back on your feet a lot quicker no heavy duties but you can get back to normality a bit quicker! If the pain gets worse tho Natalie I advise you go back to your gp or A&E at the last resort don't make yourself suffer! I couldn't go through that pain again! I'm here if you ever want to chat my lovely xxx Stacey xxx

• Posted

Thanks Hun means a lot be glad when it's all over , thankfully yesterday and today the pain seems to have settled my chest bone just feels bruised πŸ˜– (most odd) hopefully we will all be ovarian cyst free one day 😊 I swear I'm inclined to say to my gyno just take my ovaries away I'm done going through this ever again xxx
  • Posted

Hi Natalie how are you doing? Sorry for late reply. I just wanted to add some reassurance. I too have a dermoid cyst. 3cm. It was discovered 18 months ago (I was scanned for something else). I'm blessed to be at UCH, London where it's monitored. I am yet to have an op as it causes no symptoms. I am under the impression that anything under 35 on the CA test is normal & this count will vary throughout your cycle due to hormone level.

I go from sometimes worrying about it to forgetting it's there. And I trust the consultants who say 'conservative management' is advisable.

I don't know how old you are but I am at an age where my body is changing. I sometimes feel things that I think are cyst-related but I'm sure that's because I know it's there!!!

Thanks, Lou

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply forgot my login πŸ™ˆ And thank you for your reassurance, I'm not due. My next scan for another 2 weeks or so I'm convinced it's grown 😩 Just find it odd how the gyno only like to remove it if there's signs of it turning malignant?! Surly anything serious can beΒ 

Prevented by removing it anyway?! I understand the nhs is busy with more serious ops ECT but I'm a paranoid kinda girl with awful anxiety health issues. If it ever turned into anything serious I'm terrified it would be to late by then.... Oh and I'm 32 😘 Xx 

• Posted

Hi Ladies , I am so glad I found this post I'm totally new to this , I had my ultrasound just last nite and also an internal scan turns out I have a 5cm dermoid cyst on my right overy I'v been getting pain with it on and off the last 10 months and I'm so glad I finally went to the doctors or I wouldn't know this now. My left overy and womb looked heathy so bonus. I'm now waiting for a referral to gyno to hopefully get it removed due to the pain it's causing me. Also mentioned blood tests and an MRI scan. Seeing this last nite totally out my mind at rest as I was so shocked to be told after ttc for 9months!! Good luck ladies and look forward to being updated Natalie x
  • Posted

Sorry for the delayed reply ladies , so my follow up scan is on Wednesday I'm so scared my last scan showed I'd got a hard (what the gyno thinks is a dermiod cyst) on my right ovary I've had quiet I bit of pain mainly when sitting I'm fine when I'm up and moving around πŸ€” But when I've done a bit to much my back starts aching I'm so scared this damn cyst might have grown πŸ˜₯ I really hate this watchful waiting procedure rather they would just whip it out xx
  • Posted

So I had my follow up scan yesterday and what the gyno told me was a dermoid cyst in November yesterday the sonographer said its a normal scan result she said its now 4cm and a clear fluid follicular cyst (normal in woman of childbearing age apparently) this is good news to me as it was 5cm and hard looking on my last scan, however I'm still getting a bruised your off pain on the side my cyst is should I be worried ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.