Trapped nerve in back?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I woke up with what I thought was a trapped nerve in my neck over a week ago. Soon realised it was more likely to be in my back. I have pain in my back between my spine and left shoulder blade and I can't move my neck. Could it be a trapped nerve after so long?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Morning Kelly, spines can be funny things it may be a muscle spasm trapping nerves around the affected area. To be on the safe side I'd see your gp & ask for an mri scan on neck & upper back. Have you tried rubbing in deep heat or tiger balm? Hot water bottle maybe useful too. Kind regards Katie.
    • Posted

I did go to the go a day after it started and he agreed trapped nerve as I was unable to move at all then, now it's just a constant pain in my back and I can't move my head anyway as it hurts if i do. I have tried hot water bottle, tramadol, naproxen (anti inflammatory) and hot baths. Also my husband tried to rub it. I have phsio on Tuesday so was going to wait till then and ask her opinion
    • Posted

Yes I know the feeling, hopefully physio will help you maybe ask your gp for acupuncture I have that it helps with tension. Hope it gets better soon x
  • Posted

Absoluetly a nerve can be trapped that long. I certainly don't know why it can last that long but have had the experience more often than I like to remember. Neither I or my husband can seem to rub it out but usually the right combination of intense massage therapy with an adjustment or two usually fixes the worst of them for me.
  • Posted

Hi Kelly

Quite honestly, could be anything though it still could be a trapped nerve.

Have you damaged your neck at any time ?

Kev  (UK)  rolleyes

• Posted

I have thought about getting a professional massage to see if it helps.

I haven't done anything to my neck before, and I'm almost certain it's in my back now. I have joint hypermobility syndrome so am more likely to get sprains so I wonder if I've done that in a muscle

• Posted

My neck has actual issues but I often feel it in my traps/shoulders/backs because everything is connected. Just make sure you get massage therapy, not a relaxation massage. Check your area for medical massage because if you have any around you can bill it to insurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.