tired the next day

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking amitriptyline since oct '14 as i was finding i was tired during the day & having difficulty sleeping during the night. My GP prescribed me 10mg the 1st week, then 20mg thereafter. I slept like a log & had some wonderful nights sleep, although i would have lots of weird dreams, especially about living in a zombie infested world.

Just lately i have noticed that although i am sleeping, im not sleeping as deep as what i was & it feels like im awake, but im not sure if i am or not. But the next morning i feel tired (sometimes lethargic with pounding headaches) & heavy eyes which never goes away until mid afternoon.

I was wondering if anyone on here has or is suffering from similar symptoms & whether its worth another visit to the GP for a review.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi steve ive been on amitriptyline for about 20 years now im on 200ml each night i always take them at 6 every night i go to sleep about 10 wake up about 6  7 oclock in the morning if i get to much sleep on them i wake up with a banging head ache and groggy if i don,t take  im wide awake my brain is alert and it will not shut down even tho my body is knackered i suffered very bad depression it would take me ages if i told you it you all i do hope you feel better soon im willing to give any advice if needed
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply 2tt.

I take my tablets around 3 hours before bedtime, usually at 7.30 - 7.45pm & go to bed at 10pm. If i work a late shift (finish at 10pm) i will take my tablet (in work) at 8.30pm. I can drive home with no effect. Last night i was at a friends 40th so took my tablets at 9pm & in bed by 11.30pm.

What i have also noticed is when i have a holiday from work i seem to be more tired than when im in work. Not sure if this is coincidental. This week i have been off & feel shattered. It could be having that extra hour in bed - im not sure. Im back in work on monday so i'll see how i go on for that week.

• Posted

hi thanks for your reply i think you really need to take them same time every night but its going to be hard as you work different hours try taking half at   6 and half at 8 ask your doctor i think your doctor will agree hope all gos well please let me know how you getting on 
    • Posted

Do you mean take at 6.30 & at 8.30 depending on shifts, or to take 10mg at 6.30 then the 2nd 10mg dosage at 8.30
  • Posted

hi steve yes try that for a a while and see how you get on thanks for your reply im always here if in need 
  • Posted

Have been taking it for 25 years..never had it increased..sleep like a baby..ok for handling anythink that fibromyalgua Sorgrens Syndrome and CFS has to throw at me the next day...but ot must be taken at night a few hours before bed..😘it did take a while to get me on the right dose but...
    • Posted

Hi christine. What time do you usually take your amitriptyline, what time do you go to bed & what dosage are you on please. The last couple of days i have been taking my 20mg dosage at 7pm & have been waking up the next day feeling like a zombie.
    • Posted

I taje mine at 6-7pm and i go to bed 9-10pm, i sleep very well my husband has to wake me up even after all these years of taking it, but once im up i'm great... ..😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.