How do I make it clear to my doctor something isn't roght

Posted , 1 user is following.

I believe I have rectal prolapse and I'm wondering why it takes doctors so long to take action. It started with what I was to believe constipation. Well now if I eat solid food I have to drink the magnesium laxitive and had my primary care order me the pre colonoscopy' saline drink. I can also see me small intestine protrude through my rect. Up until I quit eating solid food I would spend hours in the bathroom. And the feces would be stuck right in the end. Eventually I had to give up then I would stand and pieces would fall out. Along with varying the odor with me. They have given tests but dam how many tests before the surgery. I'm using a gastro doc I'm wondering if I need to go to a proctologist surgeon. I can't live like this I'm a prisoner to my bathroom. Is anyone experiencing anything like this. I finally used my phone to video well the lack of action in the area and you clearly see stool and the protruding intestine?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good God, how could they not know you have a prolapse. All they have to do is watch as you bear down and that should pretty much do it. Go to a colorectal surgeon. The gastro doesn't do surgury and they make their money with tests. My motherinlaw went to a colorectal surgeon for her problem and all they did was look at her with a scope. Then they scheduled the surgery. I tell you she was happy she did. 
    • Posted

Thanks I'm a pretty vocal person and I've had other situations where they ultimately know what needs to be done. Example lymphnods swelled instead of a biopsy they ex rayed then ultrasound. So I'm going to get another referral to the surgeon. My primary will take care of it and now that I have it on video he should thank me for not looking directly at my can. Hey one question was your mother constipated like no other. It doesn't matter thanks for

The

Responding. I made

The

Mistake of eating I'm hurting

• Posted

It was my wifes mother and she complained that it hurt to go and she was bleeding a lot. Wasn't roids or fissure so I assume a prolapse. I guess the best thing is to have a colorectal surgeon evaluate you. They will be happy to operate as they make money this way, however you should have it if you are suffering. No need to go through all the pain. She was fine a few days after the surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Craig. This was the best day I've had in 4 weeks. Having the Hmo and needing a referral I've done a lot of work for my rights. No appointment for my primary although he knows my situation but not as dire as it has progressed. Before I went there I contacted the surgeon and explained my situation and assured them they would be getting the referal soon.they will get me in Sometime this week so that went awesome. My gastro called and I explained the rapid intensity of the situation he said he could get me to a surgeon but would try to avoid it. Long story short they are both working together for my best interest. Dude I'm eating baby food laxatives and still having troubles
    • Posted

Hang in there man, it sounds like things are starting to look up. I know what it is like. It is funny how people that are healthy just can't understand and I guess I wouldn't as well if I were healthy. We just have to be vigilant and keep pushing until we get a doctor that is understanding and willing to help. But most of all a doctor that listens to his or her patients. Anyway I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

John,  Your problem sounds alot like mine.  I have a rectal prolapse also.  The Dr. thinks I also have a fixed bulge of the lower rectum.       A posterior invagination of the superior rectum into the lower rectum during straining suggesting  I intussusception. I have had the proplem with  my bowels since I had back surgery about 6 years ago.  Another Dr. suggested I take to senacot everynight.  This has helped but I still cannot go to the bathroom on my own  I have to remove it manually with a glove.  iTHE feces is like constipation at first and then it gets softer.  I also am going to a gastro Dr. But I am now going to make an appointment to see a colo-rectal surgeon.  I also feel like a prisoner in my bathroom..  The last colo-rectal surgeon seemed to give us on me and handed me a enema device to use everyday and did not give me another appointment.  I also failed the proctomy test with bariium that the Dr. had administered.  I am sorry for you and I know how you feel.
    • Posted

OMG. Kathy that is terrible. I hope that you can find a doctor that can give you some normalcie. We take being able to go to the bathroom for granted until you have a real problem. I have trouble with constapation and urination due to my prostate. My prostate hurts when I am stopped up and sometimes I feel like I will need a cath. to urinate. Oh, the problems we can face. It would be so nice to be healthy again. I wish you both luck and you have my sympathy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.